Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 141 ]  [ Total: 141 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nude Beaches and Public Lands / Nudism Places
 Nude Beach Trip Reports
 Bonny Doon Beach Trip Report
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 3 Mile Beach, Penticton BC, 2011 Topic Next Topic: oasis at sunset resort Jamaica Montego Bay
Page: of 2

toomanystrokes
Forum Member

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  6:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Send toomanystrokes a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I had the lucky experience of going to the Santa Cruz, CA area the past week. I was extra lucky to have some time in the afternoons to visit the beach and it was unusually warm for this time of year. I went to Bonny Doon Beach just north of Santa Cruz and was in heaven.

Right off Hwy 1 north of Santa Cruz is Bonny Doon Rd. If traveling north on Hwy 1 the Pacific is on your left. You will see a gravel parking area with a left turn lane to pull in. I found a parking place and proceeded to check it out. You must walk over some railroad tracks to access the paths to the beach. If you go to the north end paths, be prepared to descend slippery and rocky pathways. If you can manage a rocky descent, you will have no problems here. If you can't do this, don't lose heart. At the south end of the parking area is another trail that allows you to walk down a sandy slope to the cove. As you enter the middle of the cove or the south end, you will be in the section that is textile, but the nudes do walk the entire area. There is a huge boulder in this area and I perceived it to be a type of unofficial boundary between the north nude and south optional area. There were some textiles hanging around and some surfing in their wetsuits the first day there. The water is very chilly, so I don't blame the surfers for not surfing nude.

It was my first time here so I bumbled around in my textiles scoping out the whole beach. I am sure I was perceived to be a gawker and I really wasn't prepared for the beach that day. There was a pleasant older gentleman without clothes that I spoke with briefly. At the far north end was the outcropping forming the boundary of the cove. I asked if there was a way around to the other side. He said I would have to go up and around. I had my camera to get some scenery shots first. So, I went back up and over to take pix of the beautiful landscape.

The cliffs are 80+ feet up and is quite a deterrent to gawkers. There were 2 guys up there and one had a spotting scope. Get a life dude! That's a long drop if you slip and there ain't no barrier to stop you.

I came back after snapping my pics. I am sure the folks there were wondering what my deal was. There were 6-7 guys and 2 ladies sprinkled about the area. I took off my clothes and enjoyed every second of the abundant sunshine. There are no signs advising the north end is a nude area, so you can't fault the textiles that walk and then walk back. I had one couple, believe it or not, that was clothed and remained so during their stay. They pitched camp real close to me, but I didn't mind. There was also a group of folks up on the big boulder glancing our way every now and then and giggling. It was their loss to waste all the great sunshine. It got a little hot for me and as I said earlier I wasn't prepared. To keep from burning I moved to the north end of the cove in the shade. Then it was too cold. I began to alternate in that area between sun and shade. If you EVER get a chance to go here...DO IT. You will be spoiled for life.

I was better prepared the next day when I had the same opportunity.

Mike

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  10:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was stationed in San Francisco while in the Navy...'71-'75. During a day trip down to Santa Cruz, my shipmate and I happened upon a bunch of cars parked on the side of the road.

I was curious about what was happening that would have so many cars parked like this, so we parked, got out and went looking for what was happening. We walked along the paths to the beach and could see several guys looking down on the beach through bushes. These happened to be gawkers/voyeurs that to this day still exist.

When we got to the edge of the cove and looked down, we could see the 200-300 nude sunbathers there. I immediately turned around and went back to my car for the sleeping bag I kept in there. My shipmate was more than reluctant but followed me back to the beach.

I stripped and began walking around, smiling and saying "hello" to many of the people I encountered. He remained clothed for about an hour, then disrobed and layed on his stomach for another.

That day, we met some really nice guys and girls from the University and they invited us to spend the night, partake in their food and wine. We stayed for food and drink but did not spend the night because we were not prepared with one sleeping bag.

We returned too many times to count to meet up with this group. I would go by myself quite regularly until I was discharged and returned home. I never really talked much about Bonny Doon with my wife in the very beginning but after she became more comfortable with the idea of social nudity, I told her about this beach.

She booked a "romantic" weekend for us in Santa Cruz at a B & B and asked me to take her to BD for the day. We spent the day there and it happens to be one of her favorite nude beaches to visit. We both hope to get away for the weekend next month and may look at the long range forecasts for this area. If there's a chance for good weather, we may head up there.

toomanystrokes
Forum Member

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  1:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Send toomanystrokes a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FireProf

I was stationed in San Francisco while in the Navy...'71-'75. During a day trip down to Santa Cruz, my shipmate and I happened upon a bunch of cars parked on the side of the road.

I was curious about what was happening that would have so many cars parked like this, so we parked, got out and went looking for what was happening. We walked along the paths to the beach and could see several guys looking down on the beach through bushes. These happened to be gawkers/voyeurs that to this day still exist.

When we got to the edge of the cove and looked down, we could see the 200-300 nude sunbathers there. I immediately turned around and went back to my car for the sleeping bag I kept in there. My shipmate was more than reluctant but followed me back to the beach.

I stripped and began walking around, smiling and saying "hello" to many of the people I encountered. He remained clothed for about an hour, then disrobed and layed on his stomach for another.

That day, we met some really nice guys and girls from the University and they invited us to spend the night, partake in their food and wine. We stayed for food and drink but did not spend the night because we were not prepared with one sleeping bag.

We returned too many times to count to meet up with this group. I would go by myself quite regularly until I was discharged and returned home. I never really talked much about Bonny Doon with my wife in the very beginning but after she became more comfortable with the idea of social nudity, I told her about this beach.

She booked a "romantic" weekend for us in Santa Cruz at a B & B and asked me to take her to BD for the day. We spent the day there and it happens to be one of her favorite nude beaches to visit. We both hope to get away for the weekend next month and may look at the long range forecasts for this area. If there's a chance for good weather, we may head up there.

Isn't that one of the greatest beaches around FP? The drive from San Jose through the mountains on Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz is beautiful. Dangerous, but beautiful. I did not go to Red, White, and Blue; Half Moon Bay; or any of the other beaches. I wish I could get back to check them all out. Here is a little photo to spark your memory.

Download Attachment: bdb1.jpg
9.52 KB

Mike - Nude whenever feasible!!!

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  6:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the nude beaches along pch in that area are VERY nice. My husband grew up surfing those beaches. And we used to frequent all the nude spots with our girls when we lived up in that area. Now,living in southern Ca we do have San Onofre for a nude beach,which IS quite nice. But we do miss "4 mile", "Bonny Dune",and "Red White And Blue". We used to have a lot of fun there.

Jenn

rabbitnbunny
Forum Member

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  6:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit rabbitnbunny's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As of 2007, Bonny Doon became part of the state parks system. Generally, nudity is frowned upon by State Rangers. Does anyone know if they've clamped down on nude use at the north end of the beach?

Rebecca
Forum Member

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  01:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having been to Bonny Doon quite a bit last year and this year (on some of the few warm days so far), I haven't seen a difference. The north cove beyond the rock is nude, some nude folks enjoy walking up and down the whole beach. It's still the same pleasant coexistence of nudists and textiles and a family-friendly atmosphere we had in earlier years!
But the water is CHILLY (and full of sand).

nudesunguy
Forum Member

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  12:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Send nudesunguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say I've been to Bonny Doon recently; last time I went it was 90% men and VERY windy. We've found two much warmer beaches right in Santa Cruz (2222 west cliff dr.) and Capitola (Privates Beach) next door. Privates requires a membership, but is well worth it. Both beaches are subject to the tides, so plan ahead. Find directions with google.

n/a
deleted

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  2:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just in Santa Cruz stayed right at boardwalk so wasnt much close by for nude beaches but alot of stoners and bums out there.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  11:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have to check out Bonny Doon. The discussion about it is making me quite curious. We need more nude beaches there because of the closure of one or more nude beaches there.

Hi Bonny, how ya doon? Sorry, my keyboard slipped.

“I rise early almost every morning and sit in my chamber, without any clothes whatever, half an hour or an hour, according to the season, either reading or writing.”
Ben Franklin

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  12:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last reports I've read didn't speak too favorably about Bonny Doon. I think the rangers are hassling people down there. Might want to check out any updated info.

Loves being naked. Plays well with others!

nudesunguy
Forum Member

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  10:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Send nudesunguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
And if not rangers, there are always the guys on the cliffs with video cameras. Such a shame, it used to be a great beach. Somehow it's still getting an "A" rating, but there are much better local alternative posted here:
http://www.sfbg.com/nudebeaches/santacruz

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  1:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That last write up on BD is back in Jan '10. Not sure what "current" info there is.

nudesunguy
Forum Member

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  11:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Send nudesunguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt very much that this problem has changed. We first encountered it 20 years ago...
-----
But last year five beachgoers, including a friend of Caitlin's, encountered overly aggressive men at Bonny Doon. Says Jeff P., of Palo Alto, on Yelp, who was approached for sex by one: "These pervs sap the credibility from nudists." Elizabeth, of San Jose, reports being asked by a middle-aged male nudist if "I needed to get tanning lotion put on. I gave them the get away from me look and things were cool after that."

"I love nude beaches," said another poster, Jill, of Santa Cruz, after a visit. "So far, Bonny Doon is the only one at which I've actually felt uncomfortable, even with my boyfriend at my side the entire time ... Even after we ... left the nude part of the beach, one of the men actually got up and followed us. How creepy can you get?"

Julie, of the East Bay, had a similar experience. "For women, I would not recommend going solo if for no other reason than to be left alone," she said. "I've had a few brave 'johns' that like to walk up (naked) and introduce themselves even when I'm there with my boyfriend."

And in a more humorous vein, summer visitor Katie, of Redwood City, complains about the looks of the guys on the sand: "Why don't some hot dudes come here and sun-bathe naked? That might make it a 5 star beach."

The clothing-optional section usually attracts more women and couples than most nude beaches. "Minuses" include occasional vehicle burglaries and gawkers on the bluffs or in the bushes.

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  2:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has certainly changed since I visited on a regular basis from late '72 through mid '75. Lots more college kids back then, much more friendly crowd, easy going and still on "occasional" gawker on the cliff but not in the numbers we found later in the early 90's when we returned together.

Still my wife's favorite nude beach on the west coast, so far, but havent't been up that way in several years. I think what bothers me is that nudists can be our own worse enemy. In the beginning, I was quilty of not speaking up when inappropriate activity happened but ... I think it got worse and when the inappropriate activity continued and no one said anything, the jerks and gawkers, voyeurs took over, like they do on many nude beaches.

I'd still like to go up there and visit for the day so I can at least give a updated, first hand report on our experience or have someone that still visits, give us some updated info on the beach.

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  10:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anyone here that has been to Bonny Doon recently? The Prof and I are thinking of getting away for a short stay up in Monterey County and may want to spend a day naked on the beach.

Not sure what the status is of BD but it was one of our favorite places to visit while I was in the Navy. Any current, updated info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 06/22/2015 :  04:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi FireProf,

Here is the latest from yelp dot com. Although not an official report, it gives one an idea of what the latest is.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bonny-doon-beach-santa-cruz

“I rise early almost every morning and sit in my chamber, without any clothes whatever, half an hour or an hour, according to the season, either reading or writing.”
Ben Franklin

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: 3 Mile Beach, Penticton BC, 2011 Topic Next Topic: oasis at sunset resort Jamaica Montego Bay  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.35 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved