Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 194 ]  [ Total: 194 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 How to educate your non-nudist family members
 Nudism Statistics
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: ed. ex girl friend Topic Next Topic: How to tell your 17 yr old daughter your a nudist.  

kangaroo
Forum Member

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  3:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know where I can find statistics on nudism? (i.e. how many people practice nudism)

I have tried Google searches, but have not been successful in getting any real numbers.

Thanks

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  09:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Naturist Education Foundation has issued the following release for wide distribution.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Monday, October 16, 2006

NATURIST EDUCATION FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES RESULTS OF NATIONWIDE ROPER
POLL ON SKINNY-DIPPING AND NUDE SUNBATHING

OSHKOSH, Wisconsin - A new nationwide poll commissioned by the Naturist
Education Foundation (NEF) and conducted by the prestigious polling
firm of Roper Public Affairs, indicates that close to three-quarters of
Americans approve of nude sunbathing on beaches set aside for that
purpose.

In the scientific sampling of 1009 U.S. adults conducted recently by
Roper, 74 percent of those polled said they believed people who enjoy
nude sunbathing should be able to do so without interference from local
officials as long as they do so at a beach that is accepted for that
purpose. The sustained high approval rating for nude beaches is up
slightly from the 72% who responded favorably to an identical poll
question posed by Gallup in 1983, and off a bit from the high of 80%
who approved in a 2000 poll commissioned by NEF and administered by Roper.

The NEF/Roper Poll 2006 was conducted September 8th-10th, 2006, and
surveyed 1,009 adult U.S. residents. The poll has a margin of error of
+/- 3 percentage points. Roper Public Affairs is a subsidiary of GfK
NOP, LLC, an international research business.

Responses to other questions in the poll suggest that more than 55
million Americans have, at one time or another, skinny-dipped or
sunbathed nude in mixed-gender groups.

A majority of Americans favor the proposal that a portion of public
land should be set aside by governments for nude recreation, as is often
done for other special recreation interests like snowmobiling, surfing and
hunting. Approval for government designation of clothing-optional areas
has risen from 39% in 1983 to 48% in 2000, and has reached 54% in the
2006 survey.

"Public approval has been building continually for designating
clothing-optional areas," noted NEF Chair Bob Morton. "But governmental
agencies have been slow to respond to the emerging demand. This updated
poll demonstrates that the trend is certainly no fluke. A majority now
expects governments to respond."

The Naturist Education Foundation, Inc. is the nonprofit educational
and informational adjunct to The Naturist Society, an organization with
thousands of members who enjoy nude recreation throughout the U.S. and
Canada. By gathering and disseminating information, NEF promotes body
acceptance and an understanding of naturist issues.

For more information on the Naturist Education Foundation and the
NEF/Roper Poll 2006, visit the NEF web site at:
http://www.naturisteducation.org, email NEF at
pollinfo@naturisteducation.org, or call (512) 282-6621 during business
hours (Central Time).

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's important to remember that statistics reported in such polls have a specific meaning. The +/- 3% number means that if they resampled a similar population --those who would actually answer the phone and participate in such polls--there is less than 1:20 chance that they would a value outside that 7% range (-3% to +3%). Statements of 'up or down slightly' are not really interpretable.

The important message is that a substantial majority of Americans say that people who choose to sunbathe nude should be free to do so without interference; and that a substantial minority of Americans have skinny-dipped (or been in a social context nude) with the other gender. The steady rise in the willingness of the general public to endorse set-aside space for nude recreation can be read two ways. The encouraging interpretation is that there is a rising acceptance/tolerance of nude recreation. We can only hope. An alternative interpretation is NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard), meaning the set-aside areas 'to corral the naked people' are envisioned somewhere other than the most desirable locations.

What is remarkable is that some localities (Pasco County, FL; Palm Springs, CA for example) are beginning to welcome nudists/naturists. Hopefully the beginning of a trend.

kangaroo
Forum Member

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  8:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cheri/pilot for your input.

Cheri, those reports are the ones I already located. I guess I was hoping for a more concrete number. (i.e. 1% of the United States practices nudism..etc) I guess when you consider all the different levels of nudism, there is no real way to get a truely accurate number.

pilot, I understand what you are saying, and I can only hope we are not being 'corralled'. Unfortunately, I don't foresee things changing very quickly.

[Admin's note: You'll find more nudism statistics posted here.]

n/a
deleted

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  1:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think until you can find books about nudism in actual bookstores over just being on amazon.com and until there are local offices of AANR in various cities etc nudism will have trouble being fully accepted as normal.

Safebare
Forum Member

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  6:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found my first naturist books at a campus bookstore back in the 70's. Many mainstream bookstores continued to carry naturist publications and literature for quite awhile after that. Once B&N took over the bookstore world, everything has changed. And now it is changing again. Brick and mortar stores are giving way to amazon.com and other sources. So it may not be a lost cause. What you are referencing is naturism becoming more mainstream. I like your idea of having local resources, but they do not have to be AANR affiliates. Mostly it has to do with advertising. We need to provide mainstream advertising of naturist events, like nude swims, etc. We had a nude screening of 'Act Naturally' in Houston that could have been more broadly advertised. It was a fabulous event that would have provided a pleasant introduction to our way of life. There are many examples of local naturist 'stores' advertising publicly. The tide is changing in this 'information age'. I believe future generations will be less sensitive to the naked human, but then i am an optimist.

Always Sunny,
Safebare

"Wearing nothing is devine, naked is a state of mind."

n/a
deleted

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  8:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like for them to do a survey once a year for every state as far as how many practice it, support it, oppose it etc and release the info every year.

Previous Topic: ed. ex girl friend Topic Next Topic: How to tell your 17 yr old daughter your a nudist.  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 1.43 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved