Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 160 ]  [ Total: 160 ]  [ Newest Member: bea abe ]
 All Forums
 Nude Beaches and Public Lands / Nudism Places
 Unofficial Nude Beaches
 Salomon Beach, St. John, USVI
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: How do we keep our nude beaches? Topic Next Topic: Any unofficial Beaches in southeast Florida?  

JR

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  2:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Sunday, March 16, 2003 while sitting under a shade tree beside my wife enjoying the beauty of Salomon Beach "au natural" I was given a $100 citation by the US Park Service for "public nudity." No warning. The ranger told me that he was instructed by his supervisor to just write the tickets.

This is the thanks I get for coming to St. John to spend my hard earned vacation money.

Brad

Posted - 11/09/2003 :  12:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I realize this post is kinda old, but I'm a new member so I'll reply. I live on St. John, where this is a consistent point of controversy. Salomon Beach "used to be" the unofficial nude beach here, until the current administration decided to crack down on nudity across the US. The National Park rangers were given orders to enforce a "no nudity" ban on Salomon Beach, so they put up "no nudity" signs and started writing tickets. Tourists complained, the Administration didn't listen, those tourists didn't come back. Last year a "gay cruise ship" visited the island, and many of the cruisers went directly to Salomon, where they stripped. The Park Rangers were right behind them, writing tickets. The cruise line vowed never to return to St. John. This is not progressive marketing! I know of _many_ secluded beaches on St. John where people sunbathe au natural, and it's still done at Salomon - just more discreetly.

If you need a place to stay while visiting St. John, look us up. www.StarlitEscape.com.

curiouslygd

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  7:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I know it's been about a year since this posting was started, but I'm in St. Thomas right now and was hoping to contact "BRAD" about doing a Nude News report on Salomon Bay for the INA (Internationl Nude Association). I was hoping to get in contact with Brad or anyone at StarLitEscape about information or possible commentary au natural for the Nude News. Please send word back as soon as you can since I'll only be here til April.

stay naked
positives
--gregoryd.

curiouslygd

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  8:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's official in to me, but Salomon Bay is no longer a clothing optional beach. The national park postings at the trail head and on the beach clearly state:
NUDITY IS PROHIBITED
and there are additional printed out flyers posted at the parking lot with a description of Nudity being prohibited on the beaches.

Salomon Bay along with Little Magen's Bay were the only beaches I found on-line in the USVI as being "unofficial" clothing optional beaches and knowing there's a potential for a $100 fine or 90 days in jail it's not very comfortable to hang out on the beach thinking someone's gonna bust ya for just being yourself.
lame.

still taking a chance at other beaches finding some cool coves, and sheltered nooks to disrobe and get some sun.
Be careful though, there's been word around here of people thieving if you're not looking.

stay well
stay naked
positives

If anyone has suggestions on beaches to go around here please write me. It bugs me a bit that one of the sunniest places on earth with some of the most beautiful beaches can't tolerate people being themselves (without having to get wasted drunk at a bar).

jejunc

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  11:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will be at Caneel Bay for the week of May 23rd. Any nude beaches at all on St. John?
J

JR

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  2:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jejunc

Will be at Caneel Bay for the week of May 23rd. Any nude beaches at all on St. John?
J

Hi Jejunc,

Well, it has been two years since my original post of the $100 fine I got while sunning at Salomon Beach.

We returned to St. John in November 2003, met some friends and stayed at Caneel Bay for a few days. We wandered over to Salomon beach. What use to be a very quiet beach due to the fact it was clothing free, was now filled with bathing suit clad tourists, noisy screaming children, boom boxes, etc. As far as we were concerned the beach was a poor excuse for that which it use to be. Hopefully it has improved.

So, since that time we've not spent our vacation dollars on the island of St. John nor do we intend to return to that island or any other USVI until the government makes provision for naturists and stops harrassing visitors who wish to enjoy parts of their vacation time in the sun "au natural".

We've made several trips to other Caribbean islands where we've enjoyed weeks at a time on the beaches without ever having to keep watch for the USVI Park Rangers and the "one day visiting cruise ship tourists" who are "offended" by the human body. It is to bad that as US citizens we have to travel to non-US islands to find the freedom to enjoy beaches clothing free and to be amongest people whos mind set is to "live and let live".

Anyways, you have a great time, even if you have to wear a bathing suit. We've stayed at Caneel Bay several times and enjoyed the resort immensley. Please let us know of your St. John experience.

Cheers!
JR

old hippie
Forum Member

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  8:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not been to St. John, but have visited St. Croix and a few other "saints" in the Caribbean. These islands live or die by the tourist dollar. It might be useful to develop a clear, tangible means of demonstrating the fiscal impact of naturist tourism, or the loss of it.
Some other outfits have done this in a number of ways. For instance, a festival I was once associated with wanted to overcome some local resistance to the annual onslaught of traffic and noise. A vocal minority of the residents were up in arms to ban the event. So the event coordinators paid all the staff, gave all the change, and paid the local vendors & contractors, in "Sacajeweya" golden dollars. For a few weeks, the local tills were FLOODED with golden coins; then the festival left, and the dollars died away. There was never another complaint about the festival. What would happen if a cruise ship of a few thousand naturists were to spend in a similar manner on St. Somewhere? Do you think the attitude might soften?
It doesn't have to be dollar coins. A few bundles of dollar bills stamped with a slogan, akin to the "Where's George?" bit, could do the same thing.

Food for thought.....

"It isn't subversive unless the system changes."

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Previous Topic: How do we keep our nude beaches? Topic Next Topic: Any unofficial Beaches in southeast Florida?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.25 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved