Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 224 ]  [ Total: 224 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 General Discussion - Everything Else
 General discussion. Post anything off-topic here.
 How do you meet other nudists
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: new here Topic Next Topic: An art project changed my self-view
Page: of 2

mugwert
Forum Member

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  11:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'm going to throw a new topic out here. Since I've been on this blog, the main topics seem to be: shaving (how often and what shape/color are your pubes), male arousal(can men get aroused without needing to be shot), how often your nude around your house, and what is the most daring thing you have done nude (when did you flash the neighbor last). But, what I would like to know is, how do you meet other nudists in your area when asking others at clothing optional/nudist resorts 'can you contact them outside the resort' seems to be a huge breech of protocol, and in many cases can get you kicked out of a place because someone thinks think your 'hitting' on the other guests. For those who are retired and have been going to the same nudists resorts for 30 + years, sure you know everyone and it seem a moot point, but how does someone new to the lifestyle meet others in their area. How do you make contact when it seems that everyone is wanting to say, 'nudism is about innocence, don't go there with the idea of doing anything other than being nude'.
If I am going to convince my wife to join me in being nude with others, a few friends for support would help (especially female friends), but no one seems to ever ask how to meet others. I'm sure there are others out there with the same desire as me, to meet like minded people to hang out with but no one seems to know how to start (and no, the 'how to start a nude club' doesn't really help). So, if you a nudist in Colorado, who wants to meet others to hang out with, write back, or write back with your state and maybe you can meet someone like you in your area.

So, here it is, let the comments begin!

Rodders
Forum Member

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  04:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We met a lot of our naturist friends on holiday in Croatia, Spain and St Martin (Club Orient) often over a couple of drinks in the bar which lead to invitations to visit each others apartments there and sometimes to meet up once home again. Being open with what we / I thought were non naturist friends has also resulted in a couple of surprises. At my place of work by casually mentioning having enjoyed swims & sunbathing nude I found that there were three other nudists in the same department! I even persuaded a colleague to give it a try and now he and his family are nudists. The key I think is to be casual & as matter of fact about it as possible. If you put over a "guilty" impression of your "secret hobby" then others might see it and you as being odd or even perverted. My wife was a teacher for many years & when she told her old colleagues that she was a naturist found no negative reaction but surprise and "why didn't you tell us before?". No converts but they are still friends of my wife and meet up often. Would have not been easy if she'd still been at the school as parental reaction might have been less positive. Shame, but that's the way it is here.

So, if you want to meet other nudists, a casual & relaxed approach is one that we've found most rewarding. Try not to be an overpowering "evangelist" as this will do you no favours. We naturists are just normal people and that is the way we need to interact with others. That's how we see it and our circle of friends, both naturist & non naturist reflects this and is larger now than ever before.

Rod

Edited by - Rodders on 08/29/2007 04:46:11 AM

flexus42
Forum Member

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  06:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit flexus42's Homepage  Send flexus42 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mugwert brings up some valid points. I'm new to social nudism and have only visited a few venues. The only other nudists I've "met" are a few members of the non-landed club who sponsored the visit and one couple who sought me out after I mentioned in a forum that I'd be visiting the same resort. I'm not particularly extroverted and I sometimes feel like I'm an outsider. There must be other nudists in my area and I'd be interested in meeting them, not necessarily in a nude environment. An informal clothed public gathering would be fine, a chance to meet and discuss.

Rick

"Nakie is good. Nakie is free. Nakie is...NAKIE!"

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  09:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you continue to visit nudist venues, you'll meet lots of friends. How else could you meet them? Probably not at any other type of event or park.
When we first moved to the Carolinas, we knew no locals. After holding some Travelites' events and visiting a few parks, we had more than a dozen real friends.
Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

CMx2
Forum Member

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  3:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that generally, you're safe inviting friends you meet at a nudist venue to an outside event. There might be a rare exception if they are brand new and extremely paranoid about people 'finding them out'. But you should be able to get a feel if that were the case.

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  03:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a really good topic, Dave. I've noticed that it is very difficult in the US to meet new naturist friends. In general, most of us meet friends through activities, where we live or where we work. So how to create opportunities?

Among my favourite leisure activities are cycling, volleyball and tennis. Here in France, such activities are a good place to meet. Depending on mood and weather, we may cycle or play volleyball/tennis clothed or nude, often mixed, but its the same group of friends. In the US, even if cycling friends wanted to, there are so many barriers, like local laws, that it would never come up naturally. Playing tennis nude would require driving to a far away AANR resort, so it makes nude tennis a big deal. It kind of eliminates "activities" as a natural place to find "nudist" friends, except when doing such an activity at or through a naturist resort or group. But maybe there are opportunities to change that -- like asking about setting aside c/o volleyball/tennis time on some court.

In my French neighborhood, there are lots of people who go to the c/o beach or who you may see sunning on their balcony, so visiting with friends or suggesting an outing is no big deal. In my US neighborhood, it took a special effort to get my backyard informally designated c/o, but over the years I have learned to seek out predictably liberal areas where neighbors know each other, houses have a certain separation, and I talk to at least one neighbor before moving in to get a sense of general attitude. Neighborhood as a place to meet "nudist" friends has worked for me, but it takes planning.

At work in France, it doesn't raise the slightest eyebrow to say you were at such'n'such nude beach, and colleagues who are out-of-office friends may or may not be naturists, but there are always c/o places where everyone can do their own thing, so same group of friends. In the US, mentioning being at a sunclub often leads to a nice discussion about naturist philosophy, and occasionally, as Rod mentioned, leads to folks trying a visit, or the word spreads and others actually seek me out. (By the way, this is where women seem to be most comfortable showing interest.) So work can be a place to meet "nudist" friends, but you have to feel secure, be super-nonchalant, be open and non-defensive, and, whew, I am exhausted already!

Another way to meet other naturists is through friends. This actually works very quickly in the States once you have some naturist friends. It tends to be very nudism outing oriented so is often a "separate" group of friends. But "newbies" like your wife get a lot of personalized support, especially at events like Cheri organizes. (BTW, this seems to vary by age group -- younger-than-30s tend to be more relaxed about unstructured, casual nudity with existing friends.)

Bottomline, my experience is that naturists in the US seem to find each other mainly at AANR clubs or through organized nudist activities. This could change. It has been fun for me to be open about enjoying clothes-free time ("yup, my swimsuit still has the price tag on it", "nope, I don't wear a suit&tie at home", etc) and I've been amazed how many "non-nudists" either are completely ok with it (like the c/o backyard in the neighborhood) or show interest in trying it if I'm there to ensure a casual atmosphere.

(Sorry this got long, but hopefully helpful.)

Edited by - agde on 08/30/2007 04:48:04 AM

Rodders
Forum Member

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  05:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There a plenty of people out there who sunbathe naked in the yard or in private who would not call themselves nudists or naturists as they "just do it". Admitting that you take the odd nude swim will not brand you as odd here in the U.K. and, as Adge says be "super-nonchalant" rather than present a too serious edge. Taking a swim & lying in the sun is fun and that is the best image to promote an interest in others without either really trying or putting pressure on people which just comes across as boring. I bet most of you come into social contact with other skinny-dippers who never mention it. Like that corny old Jim Reeves song "A Stranger's Just A Friend You Do Not Know", nudists are out there maybe even next door. Oh my goodness I've just revealed I know a little about 1960's music. Sorry, hope that doesn't offend anyone but I do come from Liverpool.

Rod

mugwert
Forum Member

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  08:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried to bring up the subject at work with no results, friends think its odd to go nude in public, although they don't think the idea of swimming in the backyard pool nude to be anything too unusual. But with the co resorts about 2 hrs from my house, meeting nudists who live near me has proven to be elusive. I guess its too much to hope that someone reading this will write back and say, "Hey, I live in Denver, lets meet", but there is always hope

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  09:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mugwert

I have tried to bring up the subject at work with no results, friends think its odd to go nude in public, although they don't think the idea of swimming in the backyard pool nude to be anything too unusual. But with the co resorts about 2 hrs from my house, meeting nudists who live near me has proven to be elusive. I guess its too much to hope that someone reading this will write back and say, "Hey, I live in Denver, lets meet", but there is always hope

The nudist park might be that far away, but what about the nonlanded clubs? There might be people who do live in your immediate area.
Cheri

-
-

NudeAl
Forum Member

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  7:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hope is a good thing. However I much prefer having a plan. If you can arrange a trip or two a year to a nude resort, preferabley during a big holiday weekend, it would improve your odds. I think online friends are great, at least it is a way to stay in touch and like Cheri mentioned there may be a non-landed club in your area. You have to make an effort because we are very much in the minority here. We are also somewhat of a reclusive bunch tough to make a conversation starter over nudism.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep. -- Robert Frost

Edited by - NudeAl on 08/31/2007 9:21:18 PM

bornnude
Forum Member

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  8:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rocky Mountain Naturists is having their monthly swim in Denver on Saturday.... Their site is http://www.rockymountainnaturists.com/rmn/page.php?location=home

They have a yahoo group that is easy to use as well at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockymountainnaturists/

The latest announcement says:
quote:
Reminder from: rockymountainnaturists Yahoo! Group

Title: RMN Swim&Potluck

Date: Saturday September 1, 2007
Time: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every month on the first Saturday.

Maybe I am just paranoid but if someone were to email (private mail, IM) me and say that, I'd be quite suspicious. With all the stings, scams, frauds, etc. Meeting at the club makes more sense until you get to know them.

DaffyTaffy2
Forum Member

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  9:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My partner and I have ran into the same situation as mugwert in trying to meet like minded couples/individuals outside of a resort enviroment etc... we would like to hang out with a few couples in clothed arenas as well as non clothed were permisable closer to home and most of whom we meet are from different states etc... so getting together is really only possible if we plan to be at the resort at the same time again anouther time. But we keep making new aquantances non the less.
In planning our fall vac. the subject of nudism came up at work and a co-worker mentioned that her brother has a place were we are planning a camping trip soon so we'll see what pans out.
Like someone said try the non-landed clubs and see what happens. I plan to. Good luck

Skinny Women are not Evil

mugwert
Forum Member

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  09:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Bornnude, I will have to look into this. One question for you though, my wife is still not sure about social nudity, can she attend and stay dressed (swimsuit, sundress) or are the swims nude only.

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  09:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the info Bornnude, I will have to look into this. One question for you though, my wife is still not sure about social nudity, can she attend and stay dressed (swimsuit, sundress) or are the swims nude only.

Each club has its own rules/regs. When you contact the nonlanded club, you can mention it to them. You can also buy your wife a long-tshirt coverup and/or a pareo (sarong) in which she'd be covered but not out of place. My last pareo was purchased at Sam's Wholesale club for under $8.
They generally run about $35.

Travelites allows women to remain clothed except when they want to be in a hot tub or pool. First time men are welcome to keep a towel wrapped around their waists.
Cheri

-
-

vealj
Forum Member

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  2:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit vealj's Homepage  Send vealj an AOL message  Send vealj an ICQ Message  Click to see vealj's MSN Messenger address  Send vealj a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In several of the nudist clubs my wife and I were members of over the years, we always had a group that arranged for "off-campus" get-togethers either impromptu or a once a year thing. We'd meet at a dance hall or a restaurant or take a trip together. One group even toured Europe with a member who had been born there and knew the ropes.

We've had Super Bowl parties at members' homes and a house warming at ours. We used to even have a New Year's party at one member's home every year and it was half and half, nudists and non-nudists at least until midnight. After midnight it was made known that we were all headed for the hot tub. The nudists and those who were adventurous enough stayed and the others left early. I gotta say we met a ton of nice folks over the years at these parties both nudist and non-nudist and we all got along.

On the other hand, there are a few people who are terrified someone will find out they are nudists. I met a couple like that back in Chicago. I ran into her at a local store and said hi and all and she kept trying to avoid my eye contact and acted like she never saw me before. Go figure.

I think these days it's not hard at all if you meet folks at the club and want to arrange contact for other things. There is always an exception but the worst that can happen is they'll say no thanks.

Take care and ...
Keep it Bare !!!
- veal
Web:http://www.vealj.com/naturist.html
Nudist Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/vealj

juddo01

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  02:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now here is a really good topic I reckon.

I read another post on the forum, which seemed critical of members that didn't put any info about themselves, so I've put a bit more in about us so that maybe we could meet some other people here in Sydney AU.

Our journey of becoming Nudists is well on its way (even though my wife at times is sceptical).

One thing that concerns us is how to intro ourselves to other nudists at the beach, swim nights and the club without coming across either pushy, weird or deviants. Like "hey wanna' hang out ?" .

Now I'm just going to go and chuck a post up in the "promoting the nudist lifestyle"

Cheers
Juddo01

Edited by - Moderator on 10/09/2007 10:23:11 AM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: new here Topic Next Topic: An art project changed my self-view  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.39 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved