Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 213 ]  [ Total: 213 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 Educating the public about nudism
 Broaching the subject of nudism with friends
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Topic Next Topic: Nudism and educating the public - best method?
Page: of 6

beachalive
Forum Member

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering, for those of us here that don't belong to nudist resorts or clubs, if you have told your friends about your interest in nudism (e.g., around the house, etc.)? If so, how to you broach the topic, what was the reaction, and have any of your friends joined you in going without clothes? Seems a lot of "home nudists" may be concerned about their friends finding out, but that may not be a bad thing. I have one set of friends who were not nudists, but once the "secret" was out tried going naked in my home. That was a while ago, but they seemed to enjoy themselves. They now frequently go naked in their own home, and we have had a few birthday-suit barbecues at each others homes. It may well be worth letting others in on the lifestyle.

Notice: This moderator, operating under username 'Moderator', has been terminated for repeatedly censoring or altering posts without providing a clear indication of which policy was being enforced. Her actions were not sanctioned by this organization.

Edited by - Moderator on 09/14/2007 4:46:23 PM

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  4:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have often steered conversations esp. in summer to "skinnydipping sure sounds good as our temperatures rise". Today while checking out at a supermarket, the checkout lady had a bunch of pins on the cord from which her name tag hung. I gave her an AANR pin to add to it. She just laughed and thanked me. She did read it before she added it to her collection.

Everyone at my office knows about my chosen lifestyle.
Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  5:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Cheri, everyone at work knows of our nudist lifestyle. Several have confessed to being nude at home some of the time, most of the time and all the time.

The one couple that is nude all the time has not approached us to visit or join in because from what I understand they tend to dabble in alternative sexual experiences that my wife and I would not be interested in. We appreciate that they haven't but would have hoped that they could have separated the two and joined us at the beach or at a resort in Palm Springs.

The others have no desire to mingle or venture into social nudity with others at this time. We have several textile friends that we want to tell but we are waiting for the right moment in the conversation. One close friend that is also a co worker has known about our nudist lifestyle for over 20 years now but we haven't talked about it with his wife, who is one of my wife's close friends.

Talking about it with friends and relatives can be tricky and not knowing what the reaction will be makes some of us hesitant, my wife especially. She's ready to tell her girlfriends but just can't seem to find the right moment to blab or blurt it out. We know some will be shocked, some will already know and others may not like the idea but as many have said..."if they don't like you after you tell them, they probably weren't very good friends in the first place."

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  4:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is usually a natural time of year to let others know when they innocently ask "how was your summer?" You can always drop it in the middle of the report and see who notices, like "Played lots of golf, worked on my a seamless suntan, managed to turn off my Blackberry for a whole week!"

In general, if you think of naturism as just an activity like any other or nudity being a normal part of activities like swimming or lounging around the house, mentioning it won't feel like some kind of huge confession to you or come across that way to friends. My experience is that if it comes up and we are just cheerful, non-defensive and nonchalant about nudity being kind of the ultimate form of casual attire, people are more curious than judgmental and tend immediately focus on how they would feel nude.

james423
Forum Member

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  10:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a few friends from work who know. First time they found out was when someone asked me where I went to the beach & I responded that I went out past Robert Moses. She asked what field & I reponded that it was just past field 5. She then said "Oh my God, you mean the nude beach?". Having no reason to lie to her I told the truth. She responded "Oh, I could never do that". Several years later we remain friends and her tan lines still show when she wears certain tops. Others in our circle of friends found out from her (as she shares all info about anything & everything with them). One of them goes to another nude beach with her husband, but the others have either: a)said that they would never do that, b)said they would only go topless, but never bottomless or c)not said anything. None of them have joined myself & my wife in nude activities, though most have met my wife in non-nude situations. Nobody had any harsh reaction toward me about it & I'm OK with them knowing that I'm a nudist.

jim19452
Forum Member

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jim19452's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am old and retired and stupid so my response doesn't count for much. I sent a 'First Time Nudist Resort Visit' email to close friends and family. Few were surprised I would do something so unmainstream. My daughter-in-law was entertained and asked me several questions and expressed regret that she was so prudish when her children were young.

Best Wishes, Jim

beachnudist
Forum Member

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  09:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I have casually mentioned to several friends and relatives about going to the nudist beach and going on clothing optional vacations. We have not received any adverse reactions so far. One or two expressed an interest in what it was like but most didn't seem bothered one way or the other. One couple related to us said that they had also gone to nude beaches. A good way of letting people know about your nudist activities is to do as james423 did and tell someone who you know will gossip about it. I am sure many more of our friends and relations know about our nudist interests than we are aware of. We don't go around broadcasting our intrest but neither do we keep it a secret or would we deny it. We take the attitude that its just part of who and what we are. Keeping your interest in nudism a secret is like keeping any secret, burdensome. The less secrets we have to keep the easier life is.

Tuffers
Forum Member

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  4:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We feel that we can be totally open and honest with our friends and perhaps with the exception of one couple all know that we are nudists. As far as we are concerned there is nothing to be ashamed of and we have talked very openly about our love of being clothes free. One couple of friends who were visiting Florida from the our home country, UK this June had rented a house for the two week vacation. They have told us that the property was quite secluded and as a result they spent most of the time nude around the pool and house. Their feeling of total freedom from wearing swimming costumes gave them a new outlook on life and we may have converts to our lifestyle. If our openness with them about nudism has helped them enjoy their new experience then it has been worthwhile.

Tuffers

catbird
Forum Member

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  8:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still am leery about letting my gang (textiler gang) know about my nudist. There is one couple in the gang who are Christian Scientists who are dead set against nudism. My wife discussed it with that wife, who advised, "I would divorce Al if he went to nudist colonies."

Naturally, Catbird

natravellers
Forum Member

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  07:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Send natravellers an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not really an issue with us. Virtually all our friends are nudists. And we feel very lucky to have lots of them.
We very seldom go to textile social events (work x-mas parties etc), and then it is just casual acquaintances to whom we don't feel obliged to divulge our personal lives to.

We've met all our friends at nudist venues. Like they say 'you want nudist friends, go to where the nudists are'.

nt

jeanluc
Forum Member

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  2:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some very close friends of ours have a hot tub. He is always making jokes about it in a way that made us feel they might skinnydip, even if by themselves.
They invited us over to talk about our trip to Hawaii several years ago and I mentioned that we would have to soak in the hot tub for a while. She agreed right away and we started e-mailing as to what to bring for supper, etc.
I mentioned that I wasn't sure if they skinnydipped, but if that was their preferred way of soaking, I would be right there with that. I mentioned that I spend time around the house nude and would enjoy a hot tub that way to keep from having a swim suit filling with bubbles, etc.
I got a message back that was not critical or anything, but she said that she does not even get naked when changing in the health club or at a massage, etc. She said she was glad that I could be open about it and even offered to let the wife and I soak later however we wanted. It was tempting, but we are going there to visit them, and so we will have to put off the nude hot tubbing for now.
I was a bit nervous telling them this, but I really felt that we were close enough friends that I could mention it and not be thought less of. And I was right. She really seemed ok discussing her feelings, etc.
I did send dback a message about how the world is creating such a harsh environment for people that are not the skinny model type and that the regular sized people should not feel bad about their bodies because of that.

So at least someone outside the family knows now.

Jeanluc

Live - Laugh - Love

ßeachcomber
Forum Member

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  4:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don't understand this distinction between 'Nudist' and 'Clothed'.

I live in both worlds (as do we all) and have never experienced a negative reaction to admitting that we often don't bother getting dressed. I suspect that everyone showers naked, most of us sleep naked, and we all wander around the house nude at some time or other. The distinction seems to be being nude in THE COMPANY OF OTHERS !

All this talk of "re-educating" people seems like indoctrination. Just let people live as they choose.

traisjames
Forum Member

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  10:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit traisjames's Homepage  Click to see traisjames's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know I have been posting alot, so one more then I will be quiet for a while. As I said in my first post in the Nude College form, my roommate's girlfriend is ok being in the nude, and I have two other friends up here (girls (pretty much all of my friends are becasue when I grew up I was bullied and abused by guys so I tend to shy away from them)) who are also conferrable in the nude, but only when by themselves. Part of how i grew up with what I said in the () I also am not the party type person, I prefer small groups of good friends and sitting and talking and playing games. knowing they are ok in the nude, I would like to have them come over and play card-games or talking, but they arn't conferrable with being nude with a good friend (I personally think you would be more conferrable with someone you know well then strangers). Anyone have any experience with this or have any suggestions? Its boring being by myself and not doing anything while being free

From the guy with his eye on the sky

HappyDaz
Forum Member

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  10:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite a few of our friends and relatives are aware that we're nudists. Like Beachcomber, we've never run into a situation where it's turned out to be a big deal. We're not 'in your face' about it, but when friends or relatives have asked (I'm not sure what prompts the question), we're honest about it. We got to a nudist lake locally and take trips to Cypress Cove several times a year. Our kids know where we are going, we're going to let them decide for themselves if they follow in our footsteps. I'm proud to be a nudist and part of the nudist community and have no reason to hide it.

traisjames
Forum Member

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  2:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit traisjames's Homepage  Click to see traisjames's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess I might be a little too in your face about it with my friends. I tell them that I am ok if they want to come over and hang out while I or us are in the nude (they can dress with as much or as little they want), but I guess that is too much even for them

From the guy with his eye on the sky

karen1963
Forum Member

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  2:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Send karen1963 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have never volunteered the information to anyone. Unless someone brings up the subject, I never feel the need to just tell people. I have never had an experience where someone brought up nudism in random conversation. If someone randomly brought up the subject, or asked me a question, I wouldn't have any problem talking about it. I just never feel the need to announce it out of the blue.

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: Nudism and educating the public - best method?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 1.87 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved