Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 462 ]  [ Total: 462 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nudist Organizations
 TNS - The Naturist Society
 Naturists meet with Rep. Mark Foley on nudist camp
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Lee Baxandall Dies Topic Next Topic: Dues Increase effective 1/1/06  

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  2:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NATURIST ACTION COMMITTEE
ADVISORY
http://www.naturistsociety.com/NAC/

DATE : July 7, 2003
SUBJECT: Naturists meet with Rep. Mark Foley
TO : All naturists

Dear Naturist,

This morning a coalition of naturists met with U.S. Rep. Mark Foley on the matter of his public posture and comments concerning youth camps at naturist facilities. The meeting, which took place in Rep. Foley's Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, district office, lasted close to an hour. It was followed by a well attended press briefing and interview availability session presented by the naturist coalition in a meeting room of a nearby hotel.

BACKGROUND

Based solely on a New York Times newspaper article that appeared on June 18, the Congressman has labeled youth camps at nudist facilities to be a "reprehensible exploitation of children," and he has called for the immediate closure of what he calls a legal "loophole" that "subjects impressionable youths to denigrating and dangerous behavior and could expose them to pedophiles."

Naturists, of course, take vigorous exception to this vile misrepresentation of one of the ways in which naturist parents may involve their children in their family recreational and lifestyle choices.

The youth camp featured in the Times article was put on by the American Association for Nude Recreation (AANR) and the Florida Association for Nude Recreation (FANR), a regional affiliate of AANR. The newspaper article itself was the result of a recent media blitz by AANR and its hired public relations firm.

THE COALITION

The Naturist Action Committee participated in this morning's action in close cooperation with a coalition that included B.E.A.C.H.E.S. Foundation, South Florida Free Beaches / Florida Naturist Association, Central Florida Naturists, Sunsport Gardens and The Naturist Society. Also in attendance was a representative of the Christian naturist community, as well as a youth who had attended a recent nude youth camp, and the boy's grandmother.

Coordination for the collaborative activity was provided by Shirley Mason of B.E.A.C.H.E.S.

AANR and FANR were both invited to be a part of the coalition facing Foley directly on this issue. Both AANR and FANR declined to participate.

THE MEETING

Naturist participants met with Foley in his office at 9 a.m. and immediately let the Congressman know that they were displeased with his characterization of them and the irresponsible accusations he had tossed about. The meeting remained civil, but there was a definite edge to it throughout.

Naturists pointed out that nude youth camps have an enviable record for protecting the children involved. In fact, if one were simply looking toward the protection of children, instead of trolling for a campaign issue, there are many other types of youth camps that are statistically far more deserving of attention and scrutiny. Naturists challenged Rep. Foley to use his influence to improve the safety of children at all camps generally, rather than focusing on nude youth camps as a target for his unwarranted attacks.

The participants promised to provide Rep. Foley with additional material to assist his further education on the topic. Foley committed to a review of his inflammatory rhetoric, and he agreed to an immediate modification of his web site.

Recognizing that chances were slim that Foley would comply, naturists nevertheless demanded that the Congressman send a followup letter to Florida Governor Jeb Bush, reflecting the new understanding he'd acquired as a result of this morning's meeting.

COMMENT

Mark Foley was polite and attentive. He certainly was generous with his

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  3:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is some very sad irony here.

The same Rep. Mark Foley who labeled youth camps at nudist facilities to be a "reprehensible exploitation of children" has now resigned in disgrace from the United States Congress. He was discovered to be making untoward and inappropriate advances towards children serving as Congressional Pages.

Those who oppose naturism on "moral grounds" may well be those who have greatest difficulty keeping their own prurience in check.

We should remember this incident the next time a legislator or other opinion leader decries clothes-free living (and its adherents) as dangerous, sinful and so on.

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  4:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wheel of Karma has exacted its retribution.

Now we must still stay vigilant against the ignorance and meanspirited.

Frankly, if I had grandchildren, I would have no qualms about sending them to a nudist youth camp.

buffetfan
Forum Member

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  4:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Floridian and a Republican (yes there are Republican nudists), I can't help but feel there's a certain amount of justification in this mess. I hope we don't lose the seat in Congress, but I always believed that all the fuss Mark Foley made about nudist youth camps were just an election year stunt. If he had truly believed in what he was saying, he could have pursued it and made things very difficult for the camps. But after the initial media blitz, he dropped it very quickly. We now know why. If the media had looked closly at him, his private life could have cost him the election.

These days you have to be pretty stupid to make sexual advances on the internet. It always leaves a trail.

beachnudist
Forum Member

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  11:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like a lot of pedophiles and predators he involved himself in activities and issues involving children. The typical fox in the henhouse scenario. I see he has entered rehab, jail is where he belongs. What is doubly astounding is the fact that other senior members of his party apparently were aware of his activities and did nothing about it. They say he was warned. If they felt that he needed warning about his conduct with young boys then they knew that he was doing wrong. Instead of protecting victims they protected Foley instead. What any decent person would have done is reported him to the police. They are a disgrace

runrdad
Forum Member

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  12:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that jail is where he needs to be if what he did broke the law and can be proven in a court of law then bury him under the jail. As for others not saying anything or trying to stop it, I am unsure on how to handle them. What did they know, when did they know it, and what did they do? If my neighbor is beating his wife or kids and I suspect it do I immediatly turn him into the police? I don't have proof only a suspicion so what do I do? But if I see proof of the abuse or see the abuse happen then I have to turn him in immediatly or I am part of the problem. Right now we are only getting parts of the story and only those parts that put the spin on it that the story teller wants out there. Hopefully the DA will get the full story and in a none political format deal with it as stipulated in the laws.

I've been to hell but didn't stay long enough to talk to the devil.

Jim in Boston
Forum Member

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  10:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I am represented in congress by one of the few admitted homosexuals in that august organization, I am a bit sensitive to this issue. It seems to me that all of the Republicans running for re-election (or for that matter trying to unseat a Democrat) should insist that they will vote against Hastert for Speaker in the next Congress. Denny should have seen this coming and done something to keep Foley out of the leadership. I have to admit that I didn't know anything about Foley (who represents a district very far from me), but the news clips of him shown since the scandal broke show him to be a real pervert. At least Barney is not such a flaming queen.

jameslkirtleyjr

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  05:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buffetfan

As a Floridian and a Republican (yes there are Republican nudists), I can't help but feel there's a certain amount of justification in this mess. I hope we don't lose the seat in Congress, but I always believed that all the fuss Mark Foley made about nudist youth camps were just an election year stunt. If he had truly believed in what he was saying, he could have pursued it and made things very difficult for the camps. But after the initial media blitz, he dropped it very quickly. We now know why. If the media had looked closly at him, his private life could have cost him the election.

These days you have to be pretty stupid to make sexual advances on the internet. It always leaves a trail.

Spot on on all points!

I too am a Republican, and I am ashamed and embarrassed by Folley. Always have been since the B.S. with the youth nudist camp thing. He is a discrace to the party, and all the more, a discrace to decent adult behavior with respect to minors. First, using them for his "righteous" cause, and as an election tool, and now for his apparent intent to hit on them or who-knows-what. Good bye Foley, we won't miss you.

Remember everybody, there are good and bad people in all groups, parties, occupations and associations. We need to weed 'em out where ever they are, even in our own groups.

Randy

spadoc
Forum Member

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  02:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buffetfan

Actually, Foley's dropping of the subject was due more to the fact that Gov. Jeb Bush's office looked into the "problem" raised by Foley and discovered that the people Foley was complaining about were for the most part conservative, Republican, above average income VOTERS. The Governor's political people then essentially told Foley to back off. Unfortunately, we here in Virginia have to live with Foley's legacy, since the jealous rantings of a gay pedophile were heeded by Del. Jack Reid of Henrico County and we got stuck with HB158.

Walt

buffetfan
Forum Member

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  6:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[ Unfortunately, we here in Virginia have to live with Foley's legacy, since the jealous rantings of a gay pedophile were heeded by Del. Jack Reid of Henrico County and we got stuck with HB158.

Walt

Sounds like the voters in Virginia could use this to embarass Rep. Reid and possibly push to remove that bill. The "Foley Fallout" could help nudists who were subjected to undus scrutiny because of his lies.

CalTom
Forum Member

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  5:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many of us Republicans who would like to wring Mark Foley's neck for the problems he has brought to nudism. But he was not alone in culpability. The so-called mainstream media picked up on the teen nudist camp story and exploited it as far as they could for ratings sweeps month.

All of us know the distorted stereotypical images and misconceptions the general public has about our lifestyle, so it came as no surprise that while the Mark Foleys of the world were using hypocritical indignation for votes, the media was playing up visions of hormone raging teen nudists to the general public. Teen nudist camp, with Tampa's own Debra Lafave and YouTube star Pamela Rogers as head nudist camp counselors!

Never mind that the kids over in Lake Como have known each other for years and the families socialize with one another. In fact when the Teen Camp was photographed by the hirearchy from FANR/AANR in Kissimmee the adults thought up games so corny a few of the teens protested, "Aw mom, dad. Do I gotta?" Some raging hormones.

If it is any consolation, Fox WTVT-13 Tampa did a wonderful follow-up report a few weeks back in-effect slamming Mark Foley for all the damage he caused in the nudist community.

Previous Topic: Lee Baxandall Dies Topic Next Topic: Dues Increase effective 1/1/06  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.27 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved