Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 241 ]  [ Total: 241 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Naturists and Nudists: Hall of Fame
 Who's Who of the Nudism Movement
 A short list of notable nudists.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Topic
Page: of 8

vealj
Forum Member

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  2:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit vealj's Homepage  Send vealj an AOL message  Send vealj an ICQ Message  Click to see vealj's MSN Messenger address  Send vealj a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Irene Shannon

Irene Shannon was a firebrand of a lady who was active in the fight for free beaches in California in the late 70's and early 80's. She was an active member of Beachfront USA and participated in defending and preserving Black's Beach in Southern California for nude use. She, along with Clara Bailey (the Black's Beach mom) and other courageous women showed America nude activity wasn't limited to just the young "hippy" crowds but regular, everyday women who were moms and even grandmothers.

Take care and ...
Keep it Bare !!!
- veal
http://www.vealj.com/naturist.html

vealj
Forum Member

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  2:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit vealj's Homepage  Send vealj an AOL message  Send vealj an ICQ Message  Click to see vealj's MSN Messenger address  Send vealj a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marianna Hoppe-Handler

Marianna, another "beach mom" along with her daughter, Michelle, was active in the 70's and 80's on the East Coast defending the rights of others to go nude on Moonstone Beach in Rhode Island. Ultimately, after several years fight and a few compromises, the nudists lost their battle when the town council outlawed nude use of the beach. This didn't stop Marianna.

In 1985 she closed up her house and moved lock, stock and beach floppy sandals to the West Coast where she eventually became an active meber of Friends of San Onofre, a nude beach group in Southern California. She became known as the "Beach Mom" out there as well.

Here is an addition right from the "horse's mouth" as Marianna has contacted me recently:

"In 1995 the authorities wanted to close San Onofre to nude use. That is when I STARTED Friends of San Onofre Beach, put out a newsletter and started to negotiate with the rangers. By policing the area ourselves and teaching visitors proper nude etiquette, we gained the ranger's and lifeguard's respect and they worked with us. Even though the nude use is not strictly "legal", by allowing it now for so long we would have a good case should they want to arrest anybody for simple nudity. They even admit now at the gate that there is a nude area. We have come a long way.

I am now in TN and have visited a couple of clubs in TN and Georgia. Miss the beach, but it was time for me to move closer to my daughters. I think it was also time for me to retire."

Her best known contact with the general public came when the Benetton group used her nude photo taken on the beach in one of its United Colors of Benetton campaigns for the International Year of the Volunteer in 2001. It was interesting to see all the controversy generated when America and the world saw a well endowed grandmother type figure in a nude ad. The horror of it, a nude older woman— how dare she. The beauty of it, a nude older woman un-self-consciously enjoying life.

Take care and ...
Keep it Bare !!!
- veal

Edited by - vealj on 08/09/2004 10:10:32 AM

vealj
Forum Member

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  3:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit vealj's Homepage  Send vealj an AOL message  Send vealj an ICQ Message  Click to see vealj's MSN Messenger address  Send vealj a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lee Baxandall

Lee Baxandall is the single most important person to the naturist movement in the past 30 years. Lee also began his naturist activism on Cape Cod National SeaShore in Massachusetts. In 1974 he traveled to the West Coast to meet up with founders of the Free Beach movement out there, Eugene Callen and Cec Cinder. This became Beachfront USA and Lee began to publish a Free Beaches magazine documenting the activities of the free beach movement. In 1976 or so he moved his operation to Oshkosh, WI and there, using the family's publishing business, he created the Free Beaches Documentation Center.

He began collecting data from all over the world on nude beaches and eventually published Lee Baxandall's World Guide to Nude Recreation, a full color gorgeous guidebook which became the "bible" for locating places to go nude all over the world. Most importantly Lee succeeded in getting it distributed through major book channels. Today you can pick up a copy at Walden Bookstore or Amazon.com.

Lee commissioned Edin and Ethel Valez to produce a series of first class videos (World of Skinnydipping, etc.) depicting the naturist lifestyle and debunking the myths surrounding nude recreation.

Lee carries on a running journal of the naturist movement in a first class magazine Clothed with the Sun which he later renamed just "N" magazine. It is available as part of your membership in The Naturist Society (TNS) another organization Lee founded. He founded the organization as a loosely structured matrix of Special Interest Groups (SIGS) which welcome everyone from nude bikers to gay and lesbian and transgendered naturists to nude massagers and everyone in between. This was in stark contrast to the tightly structured, conservative AANR organization.

He was one of the originators, along with Eugene Callen, of National Nude Weekend and later National Nude Week. He used this to generate widespread media and public attention to the naturist movement as a whole. He helped organize and sponsor the first nationwide and later regional annual Naturist Gatherings with seminars and nude fun for everyone.

He founded and is still a member of the Naturist Action Committee, the primary group responsible for early warning and defense against those who would legislate naturists out of existence if they could. He was the first to retain the services of a professional lobbyist to get our viewpoint heard in the various state and federal legislatures.

He founded the Naturist Education Foundation devoted to: improving the awareness of naturism and body acceptance among both naturists and non-naturists and achieving an understanding and acceptance of naturists and their activities throughout North America.

Personally I'm grateful to him for directing a group of investors my way when they were looking for someone to lead the conversion of a modern apartment complex in Houston to a nudist community. Even though I say nudist and he STILL says naturist (tomato? tomahto?), I have the highest respect for this man and the naturist movement today owes him a lot.

Take care and ...
Keep it Bare !!!
- veal

Edited by - vealj on 08/09/2004 10:13:57 AM

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  9:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vealj,

i remember mariana and michelle handler quite well from the old moonstone beach days.

the beach was closed allegedly because it was a nesting area for the piping plover.
the underlying reason was that the beach was directly adjacent to the summer home of a us senator who did not approve of nude bathers walking on the shore in front of his home.

in rhode island, by constitution, all citizens have a right to walk along the shore up to the high tide line.

vealj
Forum Member

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  2:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit vealj's Homepage  Send vealj an AOL message  Send vealj an ICQ Message  Click to see vealj's MSN Messenger address  Send vealj a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I still bump into Marianna online now and then although not so much anymore since she retired from the naturist scene this year to be near her daughters.

Take care and ...
Keep it Bare !!!
- veal

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  5:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Veal, I'm in irregular contact with Marianna. She's a lovely lady; she moved to TN last summer.

:) Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  9:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent work, Veal! I'd like to thank you on behalf of all our members and readers. As I saw article after article appear every few days, I was amazed that any one person could put all that down on paper! You've really helped preserve our common history.

I wonder if there are still a few that haven't been mentioned yet. Folks— don't think you have to be as detailed as Veal here, he has x-ray vision.

vealj
Forum Member

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  12:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit vealj's Homepage  Send vealj an AOL message  Send vealj an ICQ Message  Click to see vealj's MSN Messenger address  Send vealj a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You are very Welcome! Hopefully the American Nudist Research Library will one day have all this stuff online and open to most folks interested in the nudist movement.

I kept my list confined to the U.S. so as to make it short. There were hundreds who contributed the blood sweat and tears to get us where we stand today.

People like Alan McCombe, Gerry Ryland, Beau Brummel...oh no...I'm not goin' to do that again!

Take care and ...
Keep it Bare !!!
- veal

naturalgar
Forum Member

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  12:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Send naturalgar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Veal,

I've been reading too. Have you ever thought of publishing a book? Or perhads you have done so already.
Gary

vealj
Forum Member

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  09:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit vealj's Homepage  Send vealj an AOL message  Send vealj an ICQ Message  Click to see vealj's MSN Messenger address  Send vealj a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, I just read the books that are out there. Of course, I also lived a good deal of it too and knew/know a lot of these people.

I was always interested, when in the middle of a politically charged meeting at the club or at a convention, whether it was always like this. So I studied up on the nudist movement and found out it was far worse in the beginning. Then I decided it was best to retire to the volleyball court and let others carry on the politcal battles.

Take care and ...
Keep it Bare !!!
- veal

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  02:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Get you a ghost writter Vealj. Your a world of information, and an asset to the nudist community. I think Gary is right, you need to write a book. You have a lot of information they may one day disappear if it is not collected. Excellent work vealj, thanks for providing all the information for us newbies!

Kim =^.^=

Edited by - Kimberly on 05/05/2004 03:00:04 AM

Adamskostum

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  01:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No mention of Reed Suplee, who owned Sunny Rest in the Poconos for many years, and, if I remember correctly, its Florida counterpart Sunny Palms?

Judging from his photo in Don Johnson's book, he looked like quite an affable sort. I DO remember that of the half-dozen nudist "founding fathers" pictured, he was the only one with a smile on his face.

naturalgar
Forum Member

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  5:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Send naturalgar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don Johnson's Book?

of " Miami Vice" fame?

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  03:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you wish? "blink blink"!

Kim =^.^=

naturalgar
Forum Member

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  12:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Send naturalgar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Touche' Kim.....

Page: of 8 Topic  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.39 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved