Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 515 ]  [ Total: 515 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Naturists and Nudists: Hall of Fame
 Nudists In The News - post news articles here -
 Let's face it. They don't love us.
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Going to extremes Topic Next Topic: HuffPo nudism series  

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  5:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can talk all we want about the growing acceptance of "alternative lifestyles", which you'd think would include nudism. We can point out occasional examples of positive media coverage. But the fact is most people still regard the sight of a naked person as something peculiar, unwelcome, and intrusive.

From the NY Times 11/21/2013 ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/21/garden/the-nakeds-next-door.html?hpw&rref=garden

nudesunguy
Forum Member

Posted - 12/26/2013 :  11:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Send nudesunguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. However, I did find the readers comments to the article to be not as negative towards nudity as they sometimes are when such stories are published in the mainstream press. So maybe there is progress; or maybe most of the readers are European ;-).

gnarlyoldman
Forum Member

Posted - 12/26/2013 :  12:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the NY Times article

If the NY Times is taking that much space to object to what they call "simply a violation of good taste" then going naked in the city must be gaining considerably as a common behavior. My wife observes that the moral police do not have to object to things people don't want to do. The moral police only get involved when people want to do things. You can tell how much people want to do something by the amount of energy the moral police have to expend to keep them from doing it.

The takeaway from that NY Times article is that many more NYC people are going naked, and going naked in places where other people can see them naked. People are going naked in back yards and ignoring neighbors watching from balconies and windows of high rise neighbors. People are going naked in bedrooms and bathrooms with big glass walls in full view of neighbors and neighboring office buildings. Lots of NYC people are going naked on rooftops, in hallways and street corners, and they don't hide when neighbors see them naked.

Another take away is that naked people in NYC are now "simply a violation of good taste," not a police matter. That's a huge change. None of the offended people cited in the article phoned the police to force clothing on the nudes. Children are seeing naked neighbors, learning that men are different from women, and also learning that seeing a naked neighbor doesn't hurt or turn either party into a pumpkin.

Seems to me that this article documents a very rapidly changing acceptance of naked as an optional clothing choice rather than an "alternative lifestyle." Children seeing the neighbor family enjoying an afternoon naked in their back yard, and then seeing them later at a local restaurant having dinner, do not see a different "lifestyle" as much as a neighbor family that enjoyed a warm afternoon in the back yard.

Every person who sees naked neighbors being casual abut being seen naked is given social permission to be naked. The change is apparently happening so rapidly that the NY Times has to devote space calling it a breech of good taste. The Times article focuses on people who were mildly offended while describing a new kind of acceptable nudity. On a sub text level the Times is giving nude permission to its readers. They don't call it criminal. They don't demand police involvement. They only say that nudity is in poor taste. They don't say that seeing naked people will hurt children. They only say that mothers may have to explain anatomical differences at a younger age. And in the end the Times said that if you don't want to see naked neighbors, if you don't want your children to see naked neighbors, pull your own shades, don't look.

I am encouraged by the growing acceptance of nudity in NYC. Happy Nude Year
Bob

Naked is green.

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  12:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found that people that have such a distain for simple nudity ... have some skeletons in their closets and they usually act that way to keep the attention off of them!

Loves being naked. Plays well with others!

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  5:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Gnarly,

For every person objecting you have more accepting or even being influenced by the site of a naked family enjoying the sun.

Like Gnarly I see this article giving licences to others to go nude in their space without worry.

Diger

Edited by - Diger on 12/27/2013 5:52:18 PM

sailawaybob
Forum Member

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  11:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i guess what bothers me when i see articles where he people have problems with mere nudity these same people have no problem with hollywood nudity on the screen .

nudesunguy
Forum Member

Posted - 12/28/2013 :  12:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Send nudesunguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'd say Hollywood nudity onscreen has decreased, since the late 60's for example. I find it odd that people seem to have no problem with extreme violence on the screen. They will let their children watch heads being blown off, but a boob makes them freak out. How did this ever become the norm?

gnarlyoldman
Forum Member

Posted - 12/28/2013 :  12:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nudesunguy

Actually, I'd say Hollywood nudity onscreen has decreased, since the late 60's for example. I find it odd that people seem to have no problem with extreme violence on the screen. They will let their children watch heads being blown off, but a boob makes them freak out. How did this ever become the norm?

I agree with nudsunguy about Hollywood and even TV nudity. A week or so I turned on a 1967 film on a cable channel. The film had quite a bit of casual nudity, including male frontal nudity. These days the sight of a man's parts on screen seems to have become lost in fllms. Even recent cable "reality" shows like "Naked and Afraid" use heavy bluring to prevent showing male body parts, but the 1967 motion picture had no bluring. Men have become so rare I was surprised to see a naked man at all.

Bob

Naked is green.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 12/28/2013 :  12:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nudesunguy, the late, great Lenny Bruce used to do a hilarious riff on that very theme back in the 60s. It's in his autobiography "How to Talk Dirty and Influence People". But I suspect 'twas ever thus. The portrayal of violence has always been more acceptable than the portrayal of sexuality. (And as we all know, nudity and sexuality are usually conflated.) In ancient Rome, the emperors staged bloody gladiatorial fights in the Colosseum, but kept the orgies within the walls of their villas.

gnarlyoldman
Forum Member

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  12:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NaturistDoc
In ancient Rome, the emperors staged bloody gladiatorial fights in the Colosseum, but kept the orgies within the walls of their villas.

Not from what I've read. The ubiquitous Roman baths were apparently the site of casual sexuality so common that it wasn't worth commenting on. One Emperor's wife supposedly even had a contest with a popular prostitute over which woman could bang the most men in a night. Later Christian emperors may have tried to reduce open sexuality but without much success. Sex was so common and open all over the city that nobody would have come to the Colosseum to watch it.

In the excavated city of Pompey some of the villas had a sex room on the street side with a view window so passers by could watch the man of the house with the ladies. Sex in the Roman Empire city of Pompey may have been within the walls, but not to make it private. Houses in Rome itself were not so well preserved so less is known specifically about life in Rome, but Roman culture in Pompey was the same culture.

Our modern fear of sex really comes from monotheistic asceticism. The old pagan cultures treated sex quite differently.

Bob

Naked is green.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  1:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob knows best, I suppose.

FlCpl4NewdFun
Forum Member

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  6:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Everything was supposed to be very special,” she said. “It was a high-stress night. I was trying to get the linens right. I distinctly remember having asparagus soup.

Seems to me Naked Guy would be an awesome dinner story to share at future cocktail parties. Her boss choking on his food on sight of Mr. Naked. Sounds more like a Freudian gag reflex to me... And the poor host, for ever more she will associate anal retentive linen folding and asparagus soup with nudity.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  8:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Sometimes asparagus is just asparagus." -- Sigmoid Fraud

JimmieMac51
Forum Member

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  3:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Send JimmieMac51 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If she were concerned that the Naked Guy could be a problem, why seat her boss in the direction of his window?

Jimmie

Previous Topic: Going to extremes Topic Next Topic: HuffPo nudism series  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 1.38 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved