Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 202 ]  [ Total: 202 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 How to educate your non-nudist family members
 Dealing with non-supportive friends and family
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Family view regarding nudity around the home Topic Next Topic: Tips for How to Date a Non-Nudist
Page: of 4

ToAsTeD
Forum Member

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  9:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my first post in quite awhile... but I understand where people are coming from who are not into the "social nudity" thing... I *finally* got away last weekend with my son to our nudist club and LOVED it so much! In fact, I CAN'T wait to go back... (hopefully this weekend!) but as far as telling my family... I don't think I am ready for that...

In a weird sort of way... I kind of *want* my family to find out somehow... but I just can't bring myself to tell them that "I am a nudist!"

Know what I mean? I just want them to know... but don't want to tell them!

Is this weird or what?

-ToAsTeD

graham

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  06:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THIS IS MY FIRST POST SO HERE GOES

I HAVE BEEN A NUDIST FOR SOME TIME AND I AM PROUD TO CALL MYSELF A NUDIST AND MY WIFE IS PROUD OF ME TO I AM ALLOWED TO SUNBAKE AT HOME, SWIM IN THE POOL AND GO IN THE SPA, SLEEP IN THE NUDE AND WALK AROUND THE HOUSE IN THE NUDE BUT WHEN IT COMES TO OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS(RE IN LAWS) I HAVE BEEN TOLD STRICTLY NO THAT I CAN NOT DO WHAT I WANT TO DO IN OUR OWN HOME AND IF I DID THEY (THE IN LAWS) WOULD NOT COME BACK TO OUR HOME AGAIN AND THERE WOULD BE A FIGHT BETWEEN MY WIFE AND MYSELF BUT I COMFORTABLE BEING NUDE AND I FEEL I SHOULD BE ABLE TO RELAX IN FRONT OF OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS AND NOT HAVE THEM UNCOMFORTABLE( THEY DO KNOW I AM A NUDIST) WHAT SHOULD I DO STAYED CLOTHED OR DO WHAT I FEEL IS RIGHT.

Wannabe bare naked

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  6:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My best advice Graham is don't get on the wrong side of the boss (the wife), you would be better to stay clothed whilst the in-laws are over for company. I know how you feel in the sense of having friends over or drop in, I would love to stay nude but they are not nudists and I don’t want to offend them.

I enjoy nakedness. I am a bit of a naturist at heart

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  11:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just reflecting on Graham's post, it strikes me that our homes have at least two distinct functions: as our personal space and as a place for receiving visitors. Usually the house is arranged in layers (foyer, living room, etc) so that the more formal the visit, the less the visitor sees. Hospitality is also layered -- always welcoming but tailored to the comfort of the guest rather than the hosts. We are able to remove layers of formal reception and formal hospitality as we mutually get to know and trust friends and let them into our personal space.

Growing up in a nudist family, we were taught that we dressed according to the occasion -- eg. default minimum at school=jeans&Tshirt, church=suit&tie, home=nothing -- and that applied at home for certain guests and relatives. It was just respecting their "culture" and was polite hospitality. The backyard pool though was "inner-sanctum" -- any guest that got that far into the house knew that the backyard was clothing-optional. There were of course the occasional formal backyard parties, but mom always let us know the dress code usually related to transplanting an external environment, eg. office folks so informal office dress code. Same approach now applies in our home. We adjust to friends and family, and just make sure that those who know us well enough to drop-in unannounced also know that we are not going to scramble to coverup. (PS. as in Wannabe's house, the "lady of the house" is the boss when deciding who gets what treatment )

Edited by - agde on 06/08/2007 11:14:23 AM

catbird
Forum Member

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  11:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clark

Only the very closest members of my family know of my interest in nudism. They told me to see a shrink. I went along with it and talked to the shrink who I hoped would tell them there was nothing wrong with me just because I am interested in nudism. Wrong. The shrink agrees that I'm some kind of nut and wants me to take drugs. I have not been back.

A shrink meets people with a wide variety of eccentricities. Anything outside the mainstream is reason to condemn him/her as some kind of nut. Shrinks these days are just medication practitioners.

Naturally, Lester

catbird
Forum Member

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  11:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In another forum on answering the doorbell nude, the suggestion was made to put a small sign above the doorbell to advise "Naturist family, allow us time to slip on some clothes." The problem with that is that I have non-supportive friends who would judge. The sign would announce to them that I am a naturist.

The sign makes sense because I have found that the visitor at doorbell is generally quick to conclude that nobody is home; hence they leave while I am slipping on some shorts.

Naturally, Lester

n/a
deleted

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  08:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a pretty big family not immediate but in general and most know I go nude but often do not bring it up or visit to it isnt an issue yet. My mother in law does visit a few times a year and yes I could be polite and not go nude during her visits but it is my choice, my home etc. I never forced it on her I sat down with her long before openly being nude around her to discuss it all and why I do it etc it took time before she was willing to be laid back about my going nude during her visits. First it was she told me I could wear as much or as little as I want as long as she could not see my genitals, so for her even a pair of breifs were fine as they hid them. But after time she got to where she said who cares I know you do it I wont be shocked by seeing it , so now her seeing me nude is like seeing me clothed.

blavan
Forum Member

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  11:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our sons, our daughters-in-law and their parents, and extended family members know that we are nudists, but our other relatives in our own families do not know. We felt it was important to tell her family before she and our son were married. She and her family are fine with it as far as we all can see.
The attitudes of most our own relatives are so closed-minded and un-informed that we have decided not to tell them. There are at least a few of them who would be fine with it and might actually want to visit some resorts with us. The negative reactions from the others would be to great to bother telling them. We are still trying to figure out how to tell those we want to know while keeping it away from the others. Things just seem to get out in the open some how, and we expect it will if we tell any of our other relatives. Once you let it out it will spead to everybody. We have found it easier to tell people that we don't know as well than it is to tell family members and many of those we have known the longest. Go figure that one out.

Being Naked and Being Real

Edited by - blavan on 11/07/2013 1:14:06 PM

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  08:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blavan Do those who do accept you as nudists accept it enough that they do not ask you to be clothed when visiting you? For me that is true acceptance if they just do not mind your a nudist but will not allow you to be nude around them then that is just being supportive not being accepting of nudism.

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  08:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally with my family,relatives found that if they were willing to discuss my nudism with me it was only matter of time before I was able to be nude in their presence. But it often is very few out of like 60 family member including extended family etc like 4 are openly ok seeing me walk around nude.

blavan
Forum Member

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  8:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do not feel it is proper to be nude at home during those times when our friends and family members who are not nudists are visiting. It has never been our intention to shock anyone or have them to feel uncomfortable in any way. Very few of them know that we are nudists. We have learned that most people cannot handle it so why expose them to it.

blavan
Forum Member

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  11:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are any grandparents having issues with their children and/or in-laws not wanting the grand children being kept by their nudist/naturist grandparents for fear that the grandchildren might be exposed to nudity, or might have the opportunity to be nude, potentially against the wishes of the parents?
In no way would we suggest going against the wishes of the parents. Let's be clear on that.
We have chosen to tell our adult children, and in-laws about our nudist/naturist lifestyle (before they got married) as our children and their spouses were not raised as nudists. We have seen many grandparents with their grandchildren at family nudist resorts, and we are hoping that we too will have the opportunity to visit family nudist resorts with our grandchildren.
This must certainly be an issue for some.
Perhaps this is a question for an additional forum topic.
Any positive experiences in convincing a previously concerned parent?
Any negative experience that still needs effort to mend?
Who has experienced an issue with this?

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  10:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ours is quite a long story. Many here and on other nudist sites have heard/read it and I hesitate retyping the entire story so I will shorten it extensively and cut to the chase.

Yes, we have experience in the issue you've asked about and in our situation, it came out quite positive. We told our daughters about our continued nudist lifestyle and that we'd taken it public/social. They were being raised as nudists but stopped in the pre-teen years.

They took it well. They initially thought we were swingers but we assured them we were not. We visited many places and told them about them. One place in particular that caught their attention was Club Orient on the island of St. Martin/Sint Maarten. Intrigued them so much that I told them that their mother and I would take them and pay for the trip if they wanted to go but they had to stay at Club Orient. They did not have to be nude but they had to stay and witness and experience what it was "we" did and how we lived and how we vacationed.

By the time the vacation date came, both our daugthers, one son in law and the 4 grandkids (5th not born yet) went with us and partook "completely" in the experience. They loved it and want to go back. Only problem ... "grandma and grandpa" aren't paying for the next trip. That's the ONLY thing holding up all of us returning together.

Since that trip, our daughters have visited our nude beach, visited a resort we frequent and the youngest wants to join our club and AANR. They are by no means "nudists" like we are but they enjoyed themselves each time they've visited a venue, do lots of skinny dipping at home and use their hot tub nude almost always. They have backyard privacy issues that hinder their abilities at times.

All in all ... great and positive experiences. By the way, though we aren't always naked when the grandkids come to visit or stay ... they do see us naked, on occasion, when they come to stay. We don't hide it but don't flaunt it as well.

Loves being naked. Plays well with others!

Nudony
Forum Member

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  08:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some might remember the National Geographic show/doc "Taboo"; more particularily the episode about nudism. In it was a segment featuring a Lake Como resident, Marion Higggins (?) and her grandkids.

http://www.savevid.com/video/national-geographic-taboo-nudists-1-2.html
http://www.savevid.com/video/national-geographic-taboo-nudists-2-2.html

(the segment starts at 7:50 on the first link)

The oldest granddaughter's comment at the beginning of Part 2 suggests that even though the Mom agreed to let her kids spend time at Lake Como, initally remaining dressed, it was entirely the kids' decision to start "getting naked with Grandma." As evidenced in the documentary.

Now...would a more "drastic" measure such as relocating to a nudist resort or adopting 24/7/365 nudity at home lead to the same positive outcome as the Higgins (?) family?
That the $64,000 question....

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  4:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good question, Nudony,

I would take the approach, if they were my kids, that gives them a choice of nudism, or textilism, without pressuring them. Who likes a high-pressured salesman? Let the grandkids see for themselves if they like a nudist resort they have visited. If they like it, it will be because that is their own decision, and not one that is forced down their throat.

The gift that is given to the kids is that they have a choice, while most other kids will never have that choice.

Just my thoughts.

“I rise early almost every morning and sit in my chamber, without any clothes whatever, half an hour or an hour, according to the season, either reading or writing.”
Ben Franklin

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Family view regarding nudity around the home Topic Next Topic: Tips for How to Date a Non-Nudist  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.3 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved