Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 141 ]  [ Total: 141 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Society And Culture: Nudism Around The World
 Race Issues and Nudism
 black friendly resorts
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Nudism and Black People Topic Next Topic: Minority/ethnic nudism at clothing optional resort
Page: of 3

ddoger
Forum Member

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  4:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adman-58

Blavan, if you and your spouse ever come this way (Vicenza Italy) please look us up, we would love to travel with you.

Fred Williamson

Hey Fred are you the same person I met in St. Maarten this past March? If it is you I enjoyed meeting you. Let me know

Cheers
Ddoger

blavan
Forum Member

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  12:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adman-58

This subject of blacks and naturism is one that is dear to my heart. I am an African American male, and I have been a nudists for over 40 years. I have visited many venues in the US, Mexico, Jamaica, and Europe and I have never had any problems accept one time out in Arizona. I cannot remember the resort's name, but it was on Black Canyon Road in Phoenix. There was one gentleman that made the remark that black people should not be allowed to visit nudist parks. My instincts were to let him have a piece of my mind, but my common sense got the better of me and I just ignored him. The one resort that I visited and thought I would have a problems was one of most friendly clubs that I have visited. The members and other guest were very cordial and friendly to me and that was club Cedar Creek in Pelion SC.

Speaking of SC, I did accuse Cheri's organization, the Travelites, of being racist, but she soon put a stop that and I had apologized to her. It is to bad that I had departed SC before I found out about the organization, I would be a member now.

I am interested in finding more people of color that I could enlighten them with the joys and befits of being a naturist. I know that there are many military people that are naturist, but I am having a tough time trying to recruit them. Over here in Europe, the venues are plentiful and easy to get there. Cora and I just spent 4 days over in Croatia and in two weeks we will be going to Hungary. Even thoug I don't see another black face at these resorts, I think nothing of it. I am a friendly and out going person and I make friends very easy.

Blavan, if you and your spouse ever come this way (Vicenza Italy) please look us up, we would love to travel with you.

Fred Williamson

Thank you for your comments, and for the invitation to look you guys up if we come to Italy. I have only been to Italy once. It was on business, and I loved it there. Too bad my wife could not be there with me for that trip. It has been difficult and risky for us as a black couple and to tell other people about our nudist lifestyle. We want them to know, but telling other people has already backfired more than once.
Our society in the USA has people conditioned to believe that nudism is about sexual promiscuity, and too often people fail to get the facts. Our guess is that black people in the USA might fear negative consequences if they get outed in the community where they live and work. Maybe the typical black couple might not feel as economically safe with taking that risk.
Let's face it, when supermodel Hiedi Klum openly talks about being raised as a nudist it's OK. She remains a celebrated supermodel, but just let your neighbors, your church pastor, or your boss find out about your nudist lifestyle and you just might experience some problems as a result of it.
We believe that many black people fear the possible fallout from it.
It would be a good thing if more black people frequented nudist venues, but we have a great time as nudists with who ever is present. We seldom think of race at all when we are around people. We are just people enjoying the company of other people in the most pure way in nature that people can. There is no acting white or acting black when you are naked. Everyone is just relaxing nude and having the best stress-free experience that we are aware of. We have always been eagerly welcomed at nudist clubs and resorts.

Being Naked and Being Real

nudesunguy
Forum Member

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  8:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Send nudesunguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I find the entire subject of prejudice at nudist resorts somewhat amusing. I mean, is anyone actually going to stand there in their white/tan skin and object to other skin colors? I'd be willing to bet that nudist venues are the most inviting/accepting of any in our entire society.

blavan
Forum Member

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  10:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nudesunguy

I find the entire subject of prejudice at nudist resorts somewhat amusing. I mean, is anyone actually going to stand there in their white/tan skin and object to other skin colors? I'd be willing to bet that nudist venues are the most inviting/accepting of any in our entire society.

The whole idea here is that this is a discussion board. People need accurate information. Obviously there are many would-be black nudists who have some concerns about social nudity, or they would be present in greater numbers at nudist resorts. In discussions like this forum we can inform black people and all people that they will be welcome. People of color who have been treated less that favorably in the past might not assume that they would be welcomed at a nudist resort or club. We are black nudists.
We know how friendly White Tail Resort(Ivor,VA), Cedar Creek Resort(Pelion,SC) and Serendipity Park(Cleveland,GA) are because we have visited these resorts several times. People who have not experienced them do not know this. It's up to us to inform them that they will be welcomed. We can also let them know that background checks are done on all visitors and that their family members will be safe at these family nudist resorts. Becoming a nudist is a big leap for some people. Throw in the prejudices some people have experienced in the greater society and their concerns are justified.

Edited by - blavan on 05/14/2012 11:02:41 AM

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  1:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hate to throw mud on the Bday Cake but ... Although it is true, nudists and naturists are "friendlier" than most of those on textile beaches, textile resorts or clubs ... and just on the street, "WE" nudists are no different in our ability to be just as mean, prejudice, narrow minded and unwilling to accept people for who or what they are.

There has been evidence of this on this very message board and I've witnessed it on many other boards, in person and have seen the way some nudists actually make fun of other nudists, shun their greetings, ignore their desire to engage in conversation ...

Stripping off our clothes and proclaiming we are better than our textile counter parts, because of our nudist lifestyle, isn't really true. WE nudists that are already friendly, accepting and accessible to others is something we already have within. But there are many, many other nudists that still hold on to their prejudices and unfriendly attitudes ... even after they've taken their clothes off and are in a "supposedly" all accepting environment.

Loves being naked. Plays well with others!

Edited by - FireProf on 05/15/2012 09:55:37 AM

rabbitnbunny
Forum Member

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  12:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit rabbitnbunny's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My personal conversations with blacks and nudism, leads me to the conclusion that it has nothing to do whatsoever with resorts or clubs, and everything to do with the Baptist Church that most black Americans are raised in.

jbsnc
Forum Member

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  8:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I really hate to throw mud on the Bday Cake but ... Although it is true, nudists and naturists are "friendlier" than most of those on textile beaches, textile resorts or clubs ... and just on the street, "WE" nudists are no different in our ability to be just as mean, prejudice, narrow minded and unwilling to accept people for who or what they are."

I disagree. This is typical hate speech. There are differences among interactions. Jim

Happy Nuding.

Nudony
Forum Member

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  10:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rabbitnbunny

My personal conversations with blacks and nudism, leads me to the conclusion that it has nothing to do whatsoever with resorts or clubs, and everything to do with the Baptist Church that most black Americans are raised in.

Well...that certainly may be part of it; but it is not the whole picture.
African-american culture, for some reason or another, has sexualized nudity to a nauseating degree (watched a rap video lately?). And then there's also body-acceptance issues deeply imbedded in the black female psyche. You mix these three causes together, and what you've got left is a very unhealthy view of the nude body.

My X was very often the only black woman at the resorts we visited. Even though we were always well received, what really turned her off was people bringing attention to that fact, even if they were well intentionned. "They just want to see the black woman naked", or "they just want to be around the only naked black woman" were sometimes the words that would come out of her mouth. Obviously, it was due to an increased sensitivity to being a nude black woman in a predominantly white environment. So the issue is really multi-dimensional; and hardly solvable IMHO.

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  11:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbsnc
[br

I disagree. This is typical hate speech. There are differences among interactions. Jim

Happy Nuding.

So ... you are under the impression that once you become a nudist ... ALL prejudices, bias', negative opinions about people and groups of people some how ... vanish?

And... how is what I said ... "Typical hate speech?!"

blavan
Forum Member

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  09:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... this is what discussion is all about. It is very true that by becoming naturists all bias and predjudice is not miraculously removed. Just speaking from our experience, we have not been met with negative racial reactions at nudist resorts. If any bigots in attendance avoided us because we are black(and some probably have) then we were not knowingly affected by that.
The Baptist Church has been and continues to be an institution that shapes the anti-nudity mindset of black people in America. How is it possible that a human form created in the image of the Creator could be evil when unclothed? Consider that.
What we have observed when we discuss naturism is that many black people have not asked themselves that question. People are typically slow to change. Unless we ask them and invite them to experience naturism, they will not give it serious thought.

Bob Knows
Forum Member

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  3:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know why this is a question. Are there any "unfriendly" racist nudist resorts? There are plenty of sexist nudist places who publish rules about "evil" men, but I have never seen or visited a nudist resort that has any rules about this race or that race. Admittedly, the Obama regime has been trying to stir up racism as much as they can, but only with limited success, and its whites who now face "unfriendly" reprisals in parts of some cities. Somehow I find the existance of this topic to be, perhaps, a step toward encouraging racist attitudes. I really don't know why it should be a topic among nudists.

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  4:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True... but the OP asked a question and several thought to answer him and maybe this got off topic or too far off in that direction. My only point was that ... just because we strip off our clothes and choose to live a nude lifestyle ... does NOT automatically erase our own prejudices and bias'. Being a "nudist" doesn't automatically make you friendlier than your textile counterpart. If you are already a friendly person and don't have certain prejudices ... you'll be that same person in a textile environment or a nude one. I, personally, don't buy that "nudists" are the friendliest people. Those "friendlier" people already exist within themselves ... "nudism" didn't automatically make them friendly or friendlier!

;)

blavan
Forum Member

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  11:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a discussion board open for people in a free society. Anyone not wishing to discuss a certain topic can ignore that topic. There is no need to be critical of anyone for choosing to have that discussion.
President Obama has nothing to do with "black friendly resorts".
Anyone who has visited numerous nudist resorts and beaches over an extended period of time like ten years, 15 years or more obviously knows that blacks and other minorities in attendance represent a much smaller percentage than in the general textile population. There is a higher percentage of blacks at clothing optional beaches than at nudist resorts but still not very many. It makes perfect sense to ask the question, why so few blacks at nudist resorts? Discussing the possible reasons why and considering how to include more minorities in nudism is a positive thing.
On researching the history of blacks and nudism in the American Nudist Research Library there is ample evidence of discrimination by nudist organizations in the past. Blacks were officially barred from almost every nudist club in existence in the past. There were still segregated restaurants, schools, and lunch counters, restrooms, etc. in the 1960s.
A flurry of discussion and activism on the subject of integrating blacks and other minorities into the organized nudist community was begun in the 1940s. The historical record documents that Isley Boone worked for several decades to include blacks in organized nudism. There were no blacks on record at nudist clubs at that time, and he was criticized for discussing that.
E. J. Samuels and his wife were the first blacks on record as being members of a nudist club, De Anza Trail Club of Perris, CA in 1944.
Another white nudist Hal Collins, writing for Sunshine & Health magazine in the 1960s began also working for true diversity in nudism. He warned that barring blacks from nudist clubs was bad for nudism and unconscionable.
In our experience, our white nudist friends bring up the subject of there being so few blacks at nudist clubs, and have asked us to invite other minorities just as they have invited minorities.
An Ebony Magazine reporter was invited to the 1949 ASA Colorado Convention along with a black family, the Samuels. As a result of that visit Ebony published an article on nudism and blacks in their August 1951 issue. This was part of an effort to inform more blacks about nudism.
This information is found in N Magazine, and in the American Nudist Research Library in Cypress Cove Resort. Racial discrimination hurts for a long time. It is important to let minorities know that they can now be comfortable at nudist resorts.

Edited by - blavan on 05/18/2012 11:50:44 AM

Bob Knows
Forum Member

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  08:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fail to see why nudists should be promoting racism or racist controversies. I do not care if there are more or fewer people of his color or that race at this club or that resort. Its time to drop all the race baiting and racist promotion of racist stories like "the first black xxxx" That ferments and promotes racist awareness and racism. Its time to end racism. Just don't do it.

Nudony
Forum Member

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  09:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Its time to end racism. Just don't do it.

So the way to end racism is to just totally ignore the issue? Of course; because it worked so well up until the late 60's. What an agitator and racist that Martin Luther King was, I tell ya!

Edited by - Nudony on 05/19/2012 09:36:25 AM

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Nudism and Black People Topic Next Topic: Minority/ethnic nudism at clothing optional resort  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.38 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved