Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 175 ]  [ Total: 175 ]  [ Newest Member: bea abe ]
 All Forums
 General Discussion - Everything Else
 General discussion. Post anything off-topic here.
 Desert Shadows Inn/Purchase?
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Can we convince the real nudist to stay? Topic Next Topic: NRO Lurking
Page: of 2

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  08:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The - - - Inn website (www.desertshadows.com) indicates that the resort has just been purchased by an 'investor group'. Does anytone have background on the purchase, what this investor group is, and what their plans are for the resort?

Thanks.

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  09:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First hand info: No rumors, speculation or assumptions.

Lots of questions still not answered by this is the latest update.

Desert Shadows Inn and Villas has been sold to and "investor group." The "investors" are none other than the homeowners. The homeowners did not like the new ideas the Steven Payne and his wife were planning for the resort. The total remodel of the motel style rooms, demolition of the older courtyard rooms, addition of the two story restaurant and addition of more condos was something the homeowners did not want to see.

The homeowners formed an association, elected a board and purchased the property from the Payne's. Some changes have been made. Customer service has improved, some new staff members have been hired, new pool furniture has been purchased and a "No Children," "No single males," policy has been put in place. Single males will only be allowed by being sponsered by certain level members or guests of owners.

The homeowners group assure that - - - will remain a nudist/naturist resort and that "swinging/swingers" will still not be allowed or that type of activity be tolerated.

There are plans for a Cabana Bar to be built on the site where the fountain is adjacent to the restaurant. Renovation of the covered spa area, outdoor nude massages and renovation of those rooms are buildings as needed and renovation of the Activity Pool adjacent to the model style rooms.

Our personal choice for improvement is the customer service. We are now treated cordially but it took us numerous trips for the day and longer to at least get a smile from front desk personnel. Most of the restaurant staff was very pleasant and the SPA staff was very nice.

Some small cosmetic changes happening now but no construction of new condos are planned only renovation and redecorating aside from the building of the Cabana Bar and larger spa area.

Key homeowners directly involved in the purchase and new policies and changes have assured that DSI will remain a nude resort and will still uphold the policies and philosophies regarding open displays of affection, swinging, etc.

Desert Shadows has always been a bit cliquish. The owners have not been overly friendly or welcoming. In fact, in my opinion, they've been quite snobbish. I hope now that their livelyhood and success depends on their commitment to customer service and friendliness, this will change and they will greet all visitors with friendliness and respect.

Any other questions?

Edited by - FireProf on 04/07/2007 09:14:48 AM

CalTom
Forum Member

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  4:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is great news FireProf. Perhaps I am one that is a little too traditional but does - - - really need a two story clubhouse with a restaurant/nightclub and panorama picture windows looking out at the Coachella Valley and Mt. San Jacinto? I realize why Steve and Linda felt compelled to upgrade the property but there are countless guests nostalgic for the Chaparral rooms and the courtyard.

We've also spoken with some - - - condo owners who are vehement against the trend of accepting everyone and anyone on the grounds. Reading between the lines I sense a gay/lebian fight brewing: a significant percentage of Palm Springs destined nudist clientele is in fact gay or lesbian. If the new investor group want to ostracize single male guests I sense a lawsuit in the not too distant future.

Not that there is any correlation with the above comment, but regarding the front desk service you wouldn't be referring to the rather large woman who looks like an offensive tackle for the San Diego Chargers? When we stayed there recently she ignored my wife's requests for an additional towel and then gruffly answered my inquiry about the gate beeper.

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  10:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Payne's had some pretty grandios ideas for the place and the owners saw a need to have the money spent other places. I'm always skeptical of owners of a nudist place that speak so freely and openly about nudism but are rarely nude themselves when they have the opportunity.

We frequent DSI often but have not seen that many single men or gay/lesbian couples. I don't think we look that closely at anyone to notice. I do know that many of the women there have complained about single men staring at them for long periods of time and sometimes following them around the grounds pretending to be walking around. My wife and I have never had such an encounter or had a problem with any single males there but we aren't there all the time.

Yes, the woman at the front desk you speak of is the same woman I'm speaking of. She and the tall, slender, whitish/grey haired man weren't very friendly at all in the beginning. It took quite a few visits and overnighters for the woman to warm up to us and be friendly but I've seen her in action with others. The male was also very unfriendly but then warmed up to us after many, many visits. It shouldn't take a couple or a person to be a paying guest several trips for them to treat you with some respect and courtesy.

We are curious as to what is going on there so we will undoubtedly return for updates on what changes have been done and policies implimented. There are couple of single guys that have been going there for years. Are they now excluded from visiting? Neither of them live there. If they allow some but not others are they opening themselves up to litegation?

I think the new owners have lots of issues to work out and may be talking about things they'd like to do but may be consulting with someone to see if they can legally do what it is they are talking about doing. Time will tell and we are just glad that this property will remain a nude resort. The way we keep losing beaches and clubs....we sure can't afford to lose any more resorts as well.

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  12:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for all the feedback.

If someone has an email address for a representative of the new investor association, I would be grateful for it. PM me or post it, as seems more reasonable.

Thanks a million.

DenitaLC
Forum Member

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  9:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add a bit to FP's great posts:
Single men will be allowed with a two night reservation or longer. It is the single men on day passes that are being eliminated: UNLESS they are the guest of a home owner or sponsored by a gold member of DSI. Of course, these terms/conditions could change as the new owners refine the way the resort will be run.

As for the new employees....there seemed to be a lot more friendly faces running around. The gentleman mentioned in a post above is still there but he seemed more pleasant then previous visits. Perhaps his job depends on this increase! ;)

The new owners told us that improving customer service was one of their top priorities.

The spa services will be expanded and I think the vision is a nude spa resort and that is why the family aspect (what little there was of it) is now gone. In the three visits we have made there in the last year, we saw only two families, each with one son. Both families were from other countries.

We had a very nice four days there last week. (Early April, 90* days!) We plan on going back in October to see how things are coming along.

Oh, the first night...our room a/c unit was horribly loud and we had some bugs running around. I went to the desk first thing in the morning and got to walk through and pick the room to move too, which was much better. I was told there are 6 new A/C units on order to replace some that need to be retired badly!

Progress is happening...that's a good thing.

Dee

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  9:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish my wife were still alive, then I could go for a $400 - $1,000 weekend at DSI and enjoy admiring "other men's wives, low water pressure,noisy ACFor les money, I can fly from LA to Sacramento, rent an Alamo and stay in their nicer hotel..and join in with the active singles gorup there...without DSI owner scorn.

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  10:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I typed badly. Instead of DSI, I am suggesting Laguna del Sol near Sacramento--family and single friendly,--which has a nicer restaurant and facilities than DSI (+ no snooty condo owners) and even the luxury suites only cost $105/night. Another option where families and singles are always welcomed is Sun Island Resort near El Cajon, which has nice new rooms, ripping water volleyball, weekly dances plus special events, billiards, hiking, outdoor movies, community kitchen, theme restaurant, a new store, respectful friendly crowd, volleyball, tennis, etc.--new conversation pool in the works, little houses to rent, etc. I am actually looking for a cruise in 2008. Any suggestions/experiences?

DenitaLC
Forum Member

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  11:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shynglobster wrote: "I am actually looking for a cruise in 2008. Any suggestions/experiences?"

My suggestion: Post a new topic seeking cruise information. This thread is about DSI...whether one likes that particular resort, or not. People with cruise information may not see your request in this thread. That will help keep this thread on topic. Thanks

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  01:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shylobster

I wish my wife were still alive, then I could go for a $400 - $1,000 weekend at DSI and enjoy admiring "other men's wives, low water pressure,noisy ACFor les money, I can fly from LA to Sacramento, rent an Alamo and stay in their nicer hotel..and join in with the active singles gorup there...without DSI owner scorn.

You sure sound familiar. I bet you post on another naturist message board but go by a different name.

Can you please tell us when was the last time you visited DSI?

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  01:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You sure sound familiar. I bet you post on another naturist message board but go by a different name.

Can you please tell us when was the last time you visited DSI?

No, have never posted before anywhere. I found this posting place because I am looking for info about nude cruises and saw info about DSI selling and cutting out famlies and single men. I was last at DSI in December for a day and had a nice time, but apparently no longer.

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  01:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I am inexperienced with this. I won't bother you guys again.

CalTom
Forum Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  08:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shylobster

OK, I am inexperienced with this. I won't bother you guys again.

On the contrary shylobster, your candid observations and input is what resort owners need to improve their properties for guests. There is a difference between simple whining and an accurate observation about excessive lodging cost or the nudist experience at resort A vs. resort B. Please keep us abreast on nudist beaches/clubs you have frequented and nudist life from your perspective as a newly single nudist male in mid-life.

Laguna del Sol is a very friendly nudist resort, open in their policies toward singles and the one time we stayed there the accommodations were more than acceptable. The only drawback is its location, a fair drive from the Sacramento airport.

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think with the reported $75/day rate that they'll get much daily business?
Cher

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

BakoCouple

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to see this development at - - - . Some Palm Springs area resorts seem to try to walk the line between nudist and sexually active. I hope - - - asserts itself as a true naturist resort.

bk-yd-nude
Forum Member

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  9:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey shylobster, you may have stepped on somebody's toes, but unless you make a personal attack, I don't think you have committed any grievous error. Hang in there, and you'll do just fine.

I think too many of the resorts/clubs are cliquish and that turns the newer nudist away. I know that my wife and I are very skittish when it comes to picking a club. It seems much easier to go to a clothing optional beach, or out in the woods by your self. The impression that has been given by this thread (right or wrong) is that the owners at DS fit the definition of cliquish. If I'm wrong, I would hope that someone will correct the improper impression.

bk-yd-nude

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Can we convince the real nudist to stay? Topic Next Topic: NRO Lurking  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.31 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved