Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 488 ]  [ Total: 488 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nudism, Sex and Sexuality
 What is a "true" nudist?
 I'm so Confused
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Topic Next Topic: How to become a true nudist?
Page: of 6

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  2:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, allnaturalwife. Sounds like it WAS you. Not being used to practicing nudism around others as of yet, all of the fancy philosophy (sp?) I keep reading, sometimes makes me wonder if I could function comfortably around others. It is posts like yours that help ones like me to find our way into open nudism in a proper manner. Your simplicity is greatly appreciated! Really! I'm finding it hard enough as a single male to find the right place for myself in nudism.

However, not to be putting the "expounders" down, I have also seen the versatility in nudism, like all other walks of life. I'm glad it's not "square", as someone recently accused nudism of being.

Whoooops! Am I now expounding? Sorry.

Hiking the Cascades "naturally"!

GrayWolf
Forum Member

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  5:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heavy stuff you guys.

I just like not wearing clothes because it makes me happy. I like the companionship of other people who don't wear clothes. I also like my wife, my kids, hot rods, dogs, sex, guns, cameras, our nudist club, computers, woodworking, cooking, welding, camping and reading. And some other stuff. (I don't much like yard work though.)

As far as I'm concerned, a true nudist doesn't wear clothes when he/she is alone because it makes them feel better. (that cuts out exhibitionists, voyeurs and some others)

As far as I'm concerned, a true nudist doesn't indulge in any public nude activity that they wouldn't do at the mall. (which removes a few others)

As far as I'm concerned.

cmichael
Forum Member

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  6:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love to have my clothes off whenever possible. It isn't a big deal, it never is to be naked around those who feel the same. To me, its awkward when those who are 'uncomfortable'mix with those who are not.

Phydeau
Forum Member

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  12:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Phydeau's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by allnaturalwife

Although I myself have used terms such as "true nudist" many times, I still to this day, hate all of the negative reaction they cause from many people. Northwest-- I cant be certain, but I think you might have read that quote in one of my posts. I have a very simple definition of what a nudist is: Its simply someone who prefers not to wear clothes, than to wear them. Thats it. Im sure many of us could write a 50 page discertation of the psychological reasons why we all want and/or like to be naked. With so many fancy phrases and terminology,that anyone might even question what they believe themselves. I have found that many in a debate, give lengthy arguments filled with complicated references, metaphors and the like. By the time you get to the end of it all, you forget what the heck the origional question or topic was. Not saying that anyone here is or has done that. As there are MANY people who will lock on to anything they can find in a post to launch into a lengthy diatribe-- I would hope we can all take my post at face value.

So to reiterate the simplicty of MY views on the entire subject of "What a nudist is" A nudist to me is simply one who prefers not to wear clothes rather than wear them" Terms such as "real nudist" or "true nudist" , are ONLY used by me to deferentiate those who participate in clothes free living for reasons OTHER than to just be naked, ie: voyerism, exhibitionism, or the like. Please understand that.

Also in reference to nudism and sex: To put it as simply as I know how: Nudism is not about sex, but anyone can think about sex at any waking moment. If my husband and I are at our local club playing water volleyball, He can think about having sex AND play the game at the same time. He can even control himself not to jump on me right there in the pool. Us human beings are quite amazing in that way. Having multiple thoughts all at once. Nudists do NOT want to "supress their sexuality" or anything of that nature. What most of us want to do is simply make it clear that NUDISM IS NOT ABOUT SEX. Key word being "about". I just am not seeing where in that statement people get the whole " nudists are opposed to sex thing" Its reading something that isnt there.

Thank you. You brought up something that I think is at the heart of what is troubling you. Humans ARE capable of many thoughts at a time, and surprisingly, aren't always focused on sex. We don't act like animals, though we have animal impulses.

Again, I'll say it's about removing the textile products from the equation. Put clothes back on, and the issues are still there.

I think I mentioned once about the 90-year-old monk (this was 1989) who told us that he and his classmates were once "turned on" by seeing a woman's ANKLE. Hot Pants were almost out of style by the time he confessed that.

There's a fascinating history of how the fashion industry simultaneously made women feel insecure, while at the same time made men feel that all women wanted was sex. And it was all to sell clothing at asinine rates. We're still feeling the aftershock of that. The point is that some are less in denial of that than others.

Different people are going to have different attitudes towards clothing. Age may be one factor, upbringing another . . . etc.. Let's not attack each other, but educate.

I've learned a lot here, and I hope to keep learning. I've even said a few things prematurely, and was corrected -- Learning.

What was the topic, again? I'm confused.

. . .just kidding.

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  03:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Far too many people feel a need to categorize others based on their criteria of what constitutes a "true" nudist. It's insulting and condescending. Everyone needs to decide for themselves if they are a nudist. And they don't need to do it while others look down their noses at them. Seems to me that if you like going nude, socially or privately and enjoy it, that's what a nudist is. You don't need the approval of an elite society. It isn't a career or the defining factor in your personality.

One thing for sure: A "true" nudist is accepting of others for who they are. Not who they are not.

Cali Couple
Forum Member

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  11:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One can absolutely love being nude all the time, and still not qualify for that coveted title of "true nudist".

I would say one of the necessary factors regarding a true nudist is the social side of it. One of the best definitions I've heard (somewhere on this forum, apologies to the person who I am not crediting) is that a true nudist behaves exactly the same around others whether he, or they, are clothed or not.

Nudity, to a true nudist, has no effect on his behavior and social interaction.

In other words, treat others exactly as you would treat them if you were both fully clothed.

For an example, we might compliment a woman on her beautiful nipple jewelry, but never comment on the characteristics of her nipples in a social setting. Think about it -- we would compliment her attire whether she was entirely clothed or not, but comments on body parts are inappropriate in both cases. The nudity does not change your behavior.

Here's a more difficult example: even a dedicated swinger can be a true nudist. If a person who swings always behaves very discretely and respectfully in a clothed setting, keeping their lifestyle invisible to those not interested, and does exactly the same in a nude setting, I see no problem with calling that person both a swinger and a true nudist. Even though they are a swinger, they grasp the true nature of nudism. Their behavior doesn't change just because there's nudity present.

Do you think this is closer to the mark?

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  2:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NOW I'M CONFUSED! Either I'm not getting what you're trying to say, or this is getting complicated again... NO personal offense - really! Just joining the confused ranks... again...

Hiking the Cascades "naturally"!

catbird
Forum Member

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  3:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that summing up the latest posts is this. A true nudist behaves the same regardless of whether clothed or nude.

We tend to get status conscious, and that is why the posts about whether "true nudist."

Naturally, Catbird

FlCpl4NewdFun
Forum Member

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

What was the topic, again? I'm confused.

Phyeadu: Now that was funny! Thanks for lightening things up a bit.

nudeisntlwed: Agreed, I guess that about sums it up.

CalTom
Forum Member

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  12:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by - -Couple

For an example, we might compliment a woman on her beautiful nipple jewelry, but never comment on the characteristics of her nipples in a social setting. Think about it -- we would compliment her attire whether she was entirely clothed or not, but comments on body parts are inappropriate in both cases. The nudity does not change your behavior.

Nudist social decorum dictates that it is appropriate to compliment a woman on her nipple jewelry as you would a beautiful wedding ring. You may even ask her (eventually ) where she purchased said item(s) that you admire. Conversely it is not good nudist etiquette to say, "dang, I ain't seen nipples like that since the Farrah Fawcett swimsuit poster in the '70's!"

As to the more difficult-to-grasp concept: even a dedicated swinger can be a true nudist. Well gosh...does this mean the - - booth is back on at Swing Fest 2008?

Grayone

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  12:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never realized ther was THAT much thought
involved in gettin neked.

CathyK
Forum Member

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  9:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the choices, and in my honest opinion after reading your rambling attempt at self analyzation, you are completely nuts. Now, which one do you think you are? Be honest!

Cathy

Nudony
Forum Member

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  11:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's that nuts. When I first got into nudism, and being the psychosocioananalytical nerd that I am (my wife used to tell me that I always over-thought things), I also put a lot of thought into the "psychology" of nudism (well, if that's nuts, perhaps I am).

Anyway, after meeting with nudists from all spectrums, I realized that things aren't always as "black and white" as we might like them to be. I once met a Florida lady who labeled herself a "true nudist", and distanced herself from any behavior that could be construed as "exhibitionistic" or "voyeuristic". She was actually quite verbal in pointing out how certain behavior was inconsistent with "true nudism" (i.e the non-sexuality of nudism). Nudist "elitism"? Probably. Her behavior reflected her philosophical stance. Never had I met a lady that went so much out of her way to "sterilize" her nudity: sitting with her legs clenched, climbing out of the pool sideways, never bending over, etc... My question would be: how natural can nudity be for someone who is consistently aware of how much of her is visible? My guess: she was so wrapped up in desexualizing nudity that she ended up, in fact, oversexualizing her own genitals.

Her example illustrates the danger in getting too wrapped up on the whole "nudism is not about sex" perspective. It leads to neurotic behavior. The same apply for some of the more progressive nudists, such as one I met who claimed that nudism and sex were two sides of the same coin, and apparently could not hold a conversation without her legs spread open. Also neurotic behavior.

There have been times where the feeling of my wife's nude body falling over me in the pool "sparked a flame." There always seem to be that one attractive lady sitting by the pool or the hot tub with her legs ajar, that makes me go "pheew!". I've been approached by swingers, have been the object of gay voyeurs and exhibitionists' attention. And I've caught men glancing at my wife's privates as she moved about freely, which sometimes can involve open legged or bent stances. In all these cases, there some some form of sexual thought, be it passing or focused, be it from "24/7" or occasional nudists.

We can hang on to the notion that nudism is not about sex. But we can't deny that we are all consciously or unconsciously "wired" to respond to certain situations in a certain manner. Either denying it or forcing it is an exercise in neurosis. It's what we do with that mental or physiological response that matters. So my wife fell on top of me while in the pool, and it provoked a reaction. Was it sexual? Absolutely. What am I going to do about it? Nothing! Allnatural wife touched on that point.

Anyway, unless you live in the Amazon and have been living completely nude since the day you were born, there's really no such thing as a true nudist. And as far as the whole sexual or non-sexual thing, as long as you understand that you cannot control how other people perceive you, and that it's pointless to either keep your legs tightly clenched or wide open; and that sexual thoughts are just thoughts and nothing to either act upon or repress, then you can go about your business of being naturally nude and enjoying others.

FlCpl4NewdFun
Forum Member

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  3:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CathyK

Given the choices, and in my honest opinion after reading your rambling attempt at self analyzation, you are completely nuts. Now, which one do you think you are? Be honest!

Cathy

Hey Cathy - I appreciate the critique, but I'm not sure I was self analyzing, rambling maybe. The ending question, and especially the subject was actually rhetorical in nature, but I guess I should have qualified that for those in the audience who wore helmets in grade school.

But your response did give me the opportunity to go back and ponder my original post. And since you requested that I be honest I have to say I still stand by what I said 100% and would classify myself in the "on to something" camp (see paragraph above). I think the fact that the threads with the largest responses deal with erections and shaving speaks for itself. Most of the time when people post an interesting topic it gets few responses, or worse, one liners that add no value. But ask what color you dye your pubes, press send then hold on for the ride of hundreds of responses.

I totally agree with Nudony's response above.

Edited by - FlCpl4NewdFun on 05/18/2008 3:06:06 PM

go n nude
Forum Member

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  09:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The opinions expressed here are truelly those of the participants, nudism encompasses a broad range of people from all walks of life true,many would surprised to realize/find out just who does practice this lifestyle and to what degree. With all the different topics here and the many opinions, one could get confused=true,wholesome family nudism or "true nudist" would be ones opinion to which is their right or freedom to behold. Whether one shaves or doesn't is their choice,doesn't really have any bearing at all, we do leave our cares with our clothes and enjoy nude recreation without Sexism or fears of what one may think about how we look, we could really careless. Newbies have normal fears and what ifs esp. males we've found isn't such a problem as we feared. Someone could get the impression its all sexual a " myth" to those that truelly enjoy social nude recreation appropriately.

go n nude

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: How to become a true nudist?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.26 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved