Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 446 ]  [ Total: 446 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 Existing tools for promoting nudism in your area
 Media Training - learn to speak well on camera
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A Nudist Idea - Promote Community Skinny-Dipping! Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  12:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AANR, the American Association for Nude Recreation has offered a Media Training Course FREE for registered AANR members. It's very interesting to see how you look and sound on camera while fielding questions from a potentially hostile interviewer.

The Society for Understanding Nudism highly recommends seeking out and taking a media training course such as this one to sharpen one's skills in front of a television camera. A training spokesperson (like you!) can learn about paying attention to sound bites, handling negative mental images, and effectively delivering your crucial messages despite the agenda of the interviewer.

Without this type of "in the trenches" training, it is painfully easy to demonstrate how to make a nudist look like a freak or criminal. All the interviewer has to do is get the nudist to speak words out loud carrying heavy negative imagery.

For instance, "We're not perverts, child molesters, or freaks. We don't have intercourse on the beach, or engage in orgies..." Usually, the next part is edited out, leaving only those negative images hanging in there. It really doesn't matter that the nudist was denying these things, they remain there as his sole imagery. If the nudist spokesperson had responded to the trick question with, "You might have the wrong idea about nudism, we are strong about family values and safety for our children...", there would be a lot less hair pulling when the footage makes it to air time.

Have you ever trained in front of a camera?

Add your comments here by clicking Reply to Topic.

Sundance36
Forum Member

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  1:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Sundance36's MSN Messenger address  Send Sundance36 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I might want to take course where and when I'm in central coast of calif

Dan1208
Forum Member

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  4:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Dan1208 an AOL message  Click to see Dan1208's MSN Messenger address  Send Dan1208 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
And I also may be interested in this course. Please let me know more about the schedule.

Thanks

Naturally, Dan :)

melissastarr
Forum Member

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  5:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit melissastarr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm up for learning, though I don't know if it would be a good idea for me to be too vocal about nudism in my area... I'm a teacher and people who think nudists are weird may do the whole witch-hunt thing if they found out I'm a nudist. Still, learning how to do this would be great in case I ever could speak out on camera about nudism.

Melissa

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  8:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am part of the original AANR speakers bureau. Went to Las Vegas for a few days and had intensive training in 1990, after a 1989 brief training at an SWSA convention. I've been speaking on both radio & TV since. :)

Any opportunity, I'll be on air. I've done voice drops for one nude radio station and regularly am on a local AM radio station whenever there's something of interest in the nudist world going on, they let me talk. Actually, this prepared me greatly for the lectures and seminars I've done these past 9 yrs.

Have your club contact the AANR office on your behalf or just contact the office yourself.

Hugs, Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

Edited by - Cheri on 11/15/2003 10:59:15 AM

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  05:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a really good program. i think it will help get the word out to the community.

Kim =^.^=

ncognito

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  12:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit ncognito's Homepage  Send ncognito an AOL message  Send ncognito an ICQ Message  Click to see ncognito's MSN Messenger address  Send ncognito a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheri

I am part of the original AANR speakers bureau. Went to Las Vegas for a few days and had intensive training in 1990, after a 1989 brief training at an SWSA convention. I've been speaking on both radio & TV since. :)

And you did quite well on the Glenn Beck Program despite a less than open-minded host (I have the audio)

Alan
http://www.vermontnudism.com

Common looking people are the best in the world..that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.
Abraham Lincoln

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  11:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting thread.

As an officer in a major professional organization, I was required to undergo media training. It was and remains an extraordinarily useful experience. Crafting a message and getting it across is very complex, and there is an enormous amount of preparation that goes into what appears to be a spontaneous interview or statement.

In the domains of nudism, naturism, nude recreation, the media is ALWAYS looking for a story. Next to violence and sex, nudity must be really high on their list of "stories that get an audience".

While we might not want the type of attention that the media tries to give (e.g., last summer's "Kids run naked while hormones run wild!") , media training can give one the skill to take what appears to be an adverse situation and turn it to advantage. ("We promote family fun through group activities under constant supervision of volunteer adult counselors. We literally have 'nothing to hide!'")

One of the interesting questions worth posing in the thread, how many of you can recite the AANR mission, vision and values statement without peeking at the website?

Thought so.

It's really hard to stay focused "on message" when there's no clear grasp of the message.

papabare
Forum Member

Posted - 03/28/2004 :  11:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit papabare's Homepage  Send papabare a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My brief media exposure was a talkshow where the talk was about MUDs and online computer gaming. My best bad line was about playing in a mud, something on the order of 'Well, alot of people go to play online with other people, or you can just play with yourself.'

Needless to say they thought that was very funny.

--------------------
Live Body Proud, Live Clothes Free

old hippie
Forum Member

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  2:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be wonderfu if reporters were required to interview only people who had had some prior experience in front of a camera. Most of us have little or no idea how we appear on screen.
As part of my student teaching training ( many years ago) I was videotaped for several practice sessions. I can tell you, it changed several of my speaking habits!

Maybe Cheri or another person with national connections can manage to be interviewed on one of the gazillion talk shows now on radio. It would be far more interesting than yet another opinion about judges or evolution ( maybe about the evolution of judges?)

Promote a nation-wide campaign for "National Skinny-dipping Day" in August, perhaps? How do you think Imus would handle that?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

tgg
Forum Member

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit tgg's Homepage  Send tgg an ICQ Message  Click to see tgg's MSN Messenger address  Send tgg a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A pity that I don't live in America. The Australian Nudist Federation does not do anything to train its members on how to deal with the media. :-(

'Fear wraps our bodies in clothing, love allows us to stand naked' - Neale Donald Walsch (Conversations With God 1)

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  6:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tgg

A pity that I don't live in America. The Australian Nudist Federation does not do anything to train its members on how to deal with the media. :-(

I first started learning how to deal with the media in the late 80s. It is a learning process...with lots of mistakes made over the years, but I've become a better speaker and have my "sound bites" all put together.

Could you possibly contact the ANF to see if there is any interest in starting some sort of program?
Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

tgg
Forum Member

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  4:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tgg's Homepage  Send tgg an ICQ Message  Click to see tgg's MSN Messenger address  Send tgg a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Cheri,

I will make enquiries today regarding the ANF's position on dealing with the media.

'Fear wraps our bodies in clothing, love allows us to stand naked' - Neale Donald Walsch (Conversations With God 1)

cimbal

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  11:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really feel pity of myself that I am not a resident of USA. In India, it seems pretty difficult.

echo29582

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  3:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit echo29582's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with every aspect. If you anticipate speaking in front of any of the media it is of paramount importance that you know the "tricks of the trade" before you do. Those that don't usually end up being sorry for it.

I have spent 45 years in the broadcast industry, from local stations to CBS Radio and TV and I can tell you from years of personal experience the media is no longer even handed nor fair minded on certain subjects. The reason for that would fill a book as thick as Gone With The Wind so you will just have to take my word for it.

Since we nudists are already presumed to be sexual misfits we don't need to feed the misconception more fuel, not even by accident.

By all means, take such a course when it is offered. You will be richer and wiser for it. You will also help to educate an otherwise ignorant public and promote a positive and healthy image for all nudists everywhere.

Joe

bear_rabbit
Forum Member

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  02:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to do a class.

you can count centeral oregon in

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: A Nudist Idea - Promote Community Skinny-Dipping! Topic  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.4 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved