Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 199 ]  [ Total: 199 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nude Beaches and Public Lands / Nudism Places
 Most Popular Nude Beaches
 Gunnison's Beach, New Jersey
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Blind Creek Beach, Fort Pierce Topic Next Topic: Apollo Beach, FL
Page: of 119

Fishman81
Forum Member

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  01:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Fishman81 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by njyankee60

The wife and I took a stroll on Gunnison this past Wednesday. It was gorgeous, only a dozen people on the beach. As you can see, we use a beach screen. A little privacy is the first reason. When we first starting going,I caught and confronted a couple of pervs taking pics of the wife. We also bring a portable radio and while we keep it volume low, the windscreen helps with not disturbing our beach neighbors. As for FOG helping out with the petition, they disbanded this past winter from lack of membership. The economy hit them pretty hard, membership renewal was almost non-existence. Also, some of the Fog crowd are the ones that set up the multiple screens.

Fishman81
Forum Member

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  01:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Fishman81 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by njyankee60

The wife and I took a stroll on Gunnison this past Wednesday. It was gorgeous, only a dozen people on the beach. As you can see, we use a beach screen. A little privacy is the first reason. When we first starting going,I caught and confronted a couple of pervs taking pics of the wife. We also bring a portable radio and while we keep it volume low, the windscreen helps with not disturbing our beach neighbors. As for FOG helping out with the petition, they disbanded this past winter from lack of membership. The economy hit them pretty hard, membership renewal was almost non-existence. Also, some of the Fog crowd are the ones that set up the multiple screens.

Considering the average age of a FOG member, it could also be due to a mass-extinction event.

BARENJGUY33
Forum Member

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  3:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a way to start the summer season, a nice sunny day nude at Gunnison. Crowd was a good size, but never crazy, and no issues at all, that I saw. The lot never filled up, according to some late arrivers. The price increase may have something to do with that, or the uncertain weather. Whatever the reason, my season pass is bought, and now I can just drive thru and enjoy all summer. I am always surprised by how much people will bring. One group set up dead center of the beach with 4 huge umbrellas, 2 cabinet type bars, a sound system, and plenty of booze. No wind screens for them, which is something to note. There were about 20 of them set up within 30 yards of me, which is crazy. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. These things will upset the right person, and some kind of restrictions will be put in place. On a different note, I do think they increased the length of the mobi-mat, which makes that long walk a little easier to make.

Fishman81
Forum Member

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  02:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Fishman81 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tell ya what: I would much rather see radios without earphones banned (let alone "sound-systems",) than I would mere windscreens.

Nothing ruins the atmosphere at the beach more than man-made noise-pollution, especially when it's crappy big-hair rock from eons ago or the moronic dance music of the modern era. In either case, selfishly broadcasting your music intrudes on many more people than any windscreen would.

If the NPS wants to legislate a little common courtesy, this is where they should start,IMO.

BeachCouple38
Forum Member

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  09:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We agree, loud music can really take away from the tranquility and sound of the waves we find so soothing. Unfortunately, it's a public beach and everyone has the right to enjoy the beach in their own way. The best quick solution might be to put a sign next to the mobi-mats that states, "Please be thoughtful of other beachgoers and keep music levels to a minimum and windscreens to the rear of the beach." Any handy volunteers?

Schroder
Forum Member

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  7:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Schroder a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen the rangers shut down parties when the music or the people became too loud. But you have to let them or the lifeguards know. They don't normally take any action unless somebody complains.

Carlover227
Forum Member

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  9:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARENJGUY33

... The lot never filled up, according to some late arrivers. The price increase may have something to do with that, or the uncertain weather...

Price increase? How much is the entrance fee now? Last year I think it was $10 a car, or $50 for a season pass, but I don't get the season pass since I don't go to Sandy Hook that often.

Fishman81
Forum Member

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  02:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fishman81 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BeachCouple38

We agree, loud music can really take away from the tranquility and sound of the waves we find so soothing. Unfortunately, it's a public beach and everyone has the right to enjoy the beach in their own way. The best quick solution might be to put a sign next to the mobi-mats that states, "Please be thoughtful of other beachgoers and keep music levels to a minimum and windscreens to the rear of the beach." Any handy volunteers?

I agree in principle... But in practice, one can rarely rely on people being considerate of their own volition. And if one wants to tattle to the lifeguards, one would have to ask them to turn down their own radios so they could hear your complaint in the first place!

FWIW, I would be as fine as can be with a designated area for windscreen- and radio-users, say to the rear of the volleyball area. That arrangement would leave the ocean to those who love to see and hear it.

To reinforce another post on here, yes, the daily fee is now $15 and the season passes cost $75. This pretty-much in line with parking + beach-pass fees in the rest of Jersey. (Maybe it'll result in a few less gawkers..?)

Carlover227
Forum Member

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  12:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Okay, thank you. I didn't know it went up. I'd still pay that; it's worth it to me. But you only have to pay if you drive in. One time, my girlfriend and I parked just before the bridge, and rode our bikes all the way down to the end of Fort Hancock and back. We didn't go to Gunnison Beach that time, but it was an excellent workout!

palmer
Forum Member

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  1:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We started getting up early enough to get a spot right on the ocean to avoid getting boxed in with windscreens. Memorial Day was beautiful. Good music and great drinks all around. The water was a little warmer than it usually is this time of year.

I was amazed at all the stuff people bring to the beach. One group had some wooden bar furniture set up with an 8 ft. Tall windscreen and another had a 20ft. Long tent with a bed inside of it. Oh well, only on Gunnison. I guess it adds to the character and craziness of the beach. Reminds me of Burning Man.

lovesthesun
Forum Member

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  11:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fishman81

I despise the windscreens as much as the next guy, but I carry one, myself... They are just a necessary evil on a cool and breezy day there.

I don't often set mine up, but I when I do, I always ask anyone close to us if they mind. (And while no one has said that they do, they all probably hate me for it anyway.)

The whole endeavor is hit-or-miss most of the time.. "Location" is a key element in Life, and Gunnison is a perfect example of how that works.

OK, now for a different viewpoint.....I know that this group is open to all opinions, correct?

For two years my girlfriend and I traveled to and truly enjoyed Gunnison - and believe me, it was no small thing to get her to go there and try it.

But EVERY one of the six or so times we visited each of those year, we were constantly hounded by single male trolls setting up within INCHES (and I mean inches, not feet) of us. Often they would pull out their phones and think nothing of pointing it at her and taking pictures. We would ask them to stop, they would, but as soon as we would lie back, or relax for a second, out would come the phone.

So she would be rightfully wigged out, and we would have to pack up and move, or leave, depending on how creeped out she was by the troll.

And when I tell you that this happened EVERY time we visited, I'm not kidding. We even found some of the pictures posted on the web.

So when she was just about ready to refuse to go, the ONLY thing that prevented us from quitting permanently is that I suggested we try and gain a little privacy from a small windscreen. And I have to say that it's made all the difference in the world - it is the single reason we continue to travel to Gunnison.

It's hot (we hate that on a hot day - no breeze at all), and it blocks our neighbor's (and our) view, but as soon as some troll sets up six inches away, we smile and I get up and put up our screen between him and us. Typically the look on the troll's face is worth the price - deflated, insulted, disappointed. But they can't complain; they typically leave us and move on to sit by and photograph other women.

So for those couples (or single women) who've been forced to leave the beach because of the trolls, we would totally recommend getting a windscreen and using it.

And unfortunately, we've found that they're most effective near the water line because unless we put it up there, we still have trolls plaing their towels at the opening of our screen. Very sad and offensive.

So as much as you all complain (although we've noted that it's almost exclusively the guys here who are complaining, NOT couples, which leads us to believe that it's not the view of the water that they're really upset about missing), without our windscreen she'd never go back. And I would never feel comfortable (nor enjoy) going alone as a single guy.

So go ahead and try and make the couples who use them feel guilty and uncomfortable, or try and get them banned from the beach - the only thing you'll ultimately accomplish is to drive even more couples away from the beach.

Incidentally, we'd happily give ours up if you could also legislate that (1) all cameras and cell phones were strictly prohibited from the beach, and this was enforced; (2) no one was permitted to set up within two yards from someone else.

No?

So imagine a beach with no windscreens, but imgine that pristine scene with exclusively single male trolls, because that is where this pointless rant is going.

And I know that we'll now hear from all the single males who are there only to enjoy the beach, and always leave others alone, AND all the couples who don't mind trolls sitting inches from her feet photographing her.......please, don't waste the electrons.

And thanks for keeping an open mind about a different point of view on this subject.

Fishman81
Forum Member

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  01:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fishman81 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lovesthesun

quote:
Originally posted by Fishman81

I despise the windscreens as much as the next guy, but I carry one, myself... They are just a necessary evil on a cool and breezy day there.

I don't often set mine up, but I when I do, I always ask anyone close to us if they mind. (And while no one has said that they do, they all probably hate me for it anyway.)

The whole endeavor is hit-or-miss most of the time.. "Location" is a key element in Life, and Gunnison is a perfect example of how that works.

OK, now for a different viewpoint.....I know that this group is open to all opinions, correct?

For two years my girlfriend and I traveled to and truly enjoyed Gunnison - and believe me, it was no small thing to get her to go there and try it.

But EVERY one of the six or so times we visited each of those year, we were constantly hounded by single male trolls setting up within INCHES (and I mean inches, not feet) of us. Often they would pull out their phones and think nothing of pointing it at her and taking pictures. We would ask them to stop, they would, but as soon as we would lie back, or relax for a second, out would come the phone.

So she would be rightfully wigged out, and we would have to pack up and move, or leave, depending on how creeped out she was by the troll.

And when I tell you that this happened EVERY time we visited, I'm not kidding. We even found some of the pictures posted on the web.

So when she was just about ready to refuse to go, the ONLY thing that prevented us from quitting permanently is that I suggested we try and gain a little privacy from a small windscreen. And I have to say that it's made all the difference in the world - it is the single reason we continue to travel to Gunnison.

It's hot (we hate that on a hot day - no breeze at all), and it blocks our neighbor's (and our) view, but as soon as some troll sets up six inches away, we smile and I get up and put up our screen between him and us. Typically the look on the troll's face is worth the price - deflated, insulted, disappointed. But they can't complain; they typically leave us and move on to sit by and photograph other women.

So for those couples (or single women) who've been forced to leave the beach because of the trolls, we would totally recommend getting a windscreen and using it.

And unfortunately, we've found that they're most effective near the water line because unless we put it up there, we still have trolls plaing their towels at the opening of our screen. Very sad and offensive.

So as much as you all complain (although we've noted that it's almost exclusively the guys here who are complaining, NOT couples, which leads us to believe that it's not the view of the water that they're really upset about missing), without our windscreen she'd never go back. And I would never feel comfortable (nor enjoy) going alone as a single guy.

So go ahead and try and make the couples who use them feel guilty and uncomfortable, or try and get them banned from the beach - the only thing you'll ultimately accomplish is to drive even more couples away from the beach.

Incidentally, we'd happily give ours up if you could also legislate that (1) all cameras and cell phones were strictly prohibited from the beach, and this was enforced; (2) no one was permitted to set up within two yards from someone else.

No?

So imagine a beach with no windscreens, but imgine that pristine scene with exclusively single male trolls, because that is where this pointless rant is going.

And I know that we'll now hear from all the single males who are there only to enjoy the beach, and always leave others alone, AND all the couples who don't mind trolls sitting inches from her feet photographing her.......please, don't waste the electrons.

And thanks for keeping an open mind about a different point of view on this subject.

Maybe the best post of all time regarding how things are at Gunnison... Big thumbs-up.

Point-by-point...

If single males don't care for windscreens, they can always avoid setting up near the couples area.

On the very rare occasions that I fly solo there, I go off to the south far enough to be off by myself a bit, just to be polite. (Not quite as south as the gay boys, though!)

I agree with you that some of the complaints about windscreens here don't ring true; they seem to be more about blocking the views of women than they are about obstructing ocean-views. If one wants a view of the surf, it only takes a short walk to achieve that much, as a general rule.

Still, lovesthesun, you have to take matters in your own hands sometimes... I can't believe that you tolerate anyone taking pictures of your GF!

I make it my policy to confront any loser who walks too close to gawk at my companion, let alone anyone who parks his old fat arse too close to us. I just call the A-hole out, and he moves on, every single time. And if he had pulled out a camera and starting taking pics..? It's no holds barred then, and that phone is sleeping with the fishes... But it has never gotten that far with us.

It sucks to play traffic-cop at times, but even the wandering morons there get a clue after you roust one or two of them. They are all cowardly little losers, and a lot of them talk to each other- I've actually heard them doing it- so word gets around.I've been going there with various women for about 10 years now, and the usual suspects don't come anywhere near me anymore. As dumb as those cretins are, they can be taught to avoid certain situations.

Again, please don't tolerate any inappropriate use of cameras. Say something in a loud voice, FCS. Taking pictures in a public area is perfectly legal, but it is also perfectly legal to get in the way. Do it!

The bottom-line is that you need to stand up for yourself, and for your partner.(Granted, the onus shouldn't be on those of us who behave well, but it just is.)

Anyway, try it the above; it works!

Edited by - Fishman81 on 06/03/2012 02:30:51 AM

BeachCouple38
Forum Member

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  07:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We must be lucky. In the several years we have been going to the beach we have never run into any trolling males or picture takers. We do go during the week and find everyone on the beach to be friendly and they for the most part keep to themselves. It's stories like these that have kept us from trying Gunnison in the first place. Luckily we tried it and found otherwise. We have found it to be a quiet tranquil atmosphere and once in a while a couple or single male passing by will give a wave and a hello. We have never experienced any "single male troll" parking right next to us. I agree with Fishman if someone is bugging you either confront them or ask a lifeguard for help. Sorry if you feel the need for a windscreen you should be considerate and set up to the rear of the beach so as not to block everyones view of the ocean. Let's see how happy you are when someone sets up directly in front of you so your only view is the back of a windscreen. One thing you can bet on is that if I saw anyone being harrassed as you described I would be happy to come to their aid, there is no room on any beach for that type of behavior.

Fishman81
Forum Member

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  01:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Fishman81 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
(Well, it has a lot to do with what there is to gawk at... I find myself being much more vigilant at some times than at others, depending on who I'm with on a particular day.)

I will say this: many of the offenders are absolute regulars, and show up there come rain or shine. Ergo, they become easily recognizable, and not so hard to marginalize. When I see any of them within a country-mile, I stand up and fix my eyes upon them.

That's usually all it takes. If any of those guys had the slightest thing going for them, they wouldn't be spending all day, every day, wandering around a nude beach just for the sake of a seeing a naked woman.

Edited by - Fishman81 on 06/04/2012 01:54:48 AM

palmer
Forum Member

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  03:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A windscreen is not an effective gawker blocker. A determined gawker can just stand up and take a pic of your girl. But they don't because they are cowards. So ilovethesun should exploit this weakness and stand up to them. Or you could have your GF scream "get the f-ck away from me, you pervert"! Other people will back you up.

Personally, I always thought the windscreens were up so people could masturbate behind them. Either that, or they were shy. If you're shy, stay home. The beach is crowded on the weekends. The part my wife hated the most was having to stand in the sun by herself and wait 20 minutes for me to walk from some other parking lot.

Page: of 119 Previous Topic: Blind Creek Beach, Fort Pierce Topic Next Topic: Apollo Beach, FL  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.5 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved