Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 181 ]  [ Total: 181 ]  [ Newest Member: chicagonudist ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 Educating the public about nudism
 Whats keeps the "younger" people from nudism?
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The mainstream media is slowly accepting nudism Topic Next Topic: Nudism in a nutshell, elevator pitch style
Page: of 4

Natalie
Forum Member

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  4:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I the youngest nudist on this site, in the world? I'm only 25, and my husband, 23, can scarecly be qualified as a nudist.

Bye Bye

JustJim
Forum Member

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  4:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're far from the youngest nudist. We have them at our resort wearing "swimmies" on their arms and trying to keep their heads above water at the 2 foot level.

JustJim

Rodders
Forum Member

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  05:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to read quite a bit about how naturism, certainly the clubs caters for mainly those in what is politely called the middle aged time of life. Well, my wife and I did decide to join a club after we had both plumped for early retirement as we felt it would be good to spend some quality time in the sun and air with others during the week as well as weekends. What we found was, that yes, the majority of members who used the club during the week tended to be those in their fifties and above mainly, but then most of us still in the “rat race”, climbing the ladders of perceived greatness do spend most of the time with noses firmly to the grindstone, and spare time obviously is very much at a premium. We enjoy the tranquillity of our club and the members are very friendly. The younger members do use the club at weekends and during school holidays a lot more, but once children change into young adulthood many find that peer pressure drives them towards new activities they understandably go their own way and sometimes distance themselves from social nudity completely, the “old man and old girl” being a bit of an embarrassment for a while at least.

Beaches are a different kind of place and people of all ages can use them with no rules of membership & fees, to be visited as & when the fancy takes you. All you need is a skin & a lack of body guilt which is something that lot of people under 35 do suffer from but that is our culture and from what I've seen is pretty universal in differing degrees in Europe & The States. Denmark at one end of the spectrum & Britain & Italy, I suspect at the other end. Such is life.

Rod

balataf
Forum Member

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  12:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit balataf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My five experiences at Phi Nu events basicly all had a mix from late 20s to a few 60s. While there have been as many a six kids from infant to about six YO, there was only ever one teenager, (just once.) That is in three events with attendence about 40, and two with around 15.

My 14 YO son didn't want to go, skipping a couple events after his swim, since he felt lonely. Unfortunately, it was obviously not something he felt free to invite has close friends to. Double that feeling for the girls he knows socially.

Bilby
Forum Member

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  03:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm just happy to be still considered part of the "younger" crowd! :D

tgg
Forum Member

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  03:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit tgg's Homepage  Send tgg an ICQ Message  Click to see tgg's MSN Messenger address  Send tgg a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's a very complicated question, because there are several social/political/sexual matters that cause young people to be disinterested.

1) The fashion industry's influence on the young: young people are very susceptible to propaganda telling them what is 'cool' and what's not. They don't like feeling left out if they don't wear Levi Strauss, or Nike, or Converse, or Jag or any other designer label.

2) Poor body image. The Anglicised world has a very high rate of young people with 'puppy fat' and obesity. This can be attributed to poor diet and lack of exercise. How many young people prefer to be stuck behind their TVs, Sony Playstations or X-Boxes for leisure, rather than be pumping iron at the gym or taking walks in the park?

3) Old, shapeless people in nudist magazines. The nudist press is virtually teeming with people like this and young people don't like to be reminded of their mortality. They find it either disgusting or amusing.

4) Nudist clubs and camps being overstrict about sexuality. I think some of them have forgotten what it is like to be young. Young people have the 'raging hormones' which they want to express in order to attract a mate, or make friends. Some of them say "what's the point of going to a nudist camp if you're not allowed to be sexual, or express your sexual self"?

5) Scaremongering. Sites like Nikki Craft's ones and some Christian anti-nudist sites are enough to scare the pants of any young person wanting to explore this lifestyle - none of them want to go nude and be hit on by dirty old men (or women).

On the opposite side of the coin, there are several good reasons as to why young people should be participating in nudism more often as described on the Naturist Place site:

1) Being naked is pleasurable and fun - and young people especially like what's fun.

2) Young people have the time and inclination to enjoy life and have fun. (They may feel that they have little free time - but they will have even less time when they are deeply involved with a career and have a familiy to support!)

3) Young people have had less time to become entangled in social structures that might discourage an interest in nudity (e. g. a career, the rat race, kids of their own, etc.)
Having had less time to internalize social taboos, young people ought to be more daring and more inclined to try new and unusual things.

4) Young people should be less worried about how their bodies look since they haven't suffered the bulges, sags, and scars of advancing age.

5) Young people are less likely to be in a committed relationship where the other person is strongly opposed to nudity.

'Fear wraps our bodies in clothing, love allows us to stand naked' - Neale Donald Walsch (Conversations With God 1)

NakedAmbition
Forum Member

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  4:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some excellent points in tgg's post, and in a few others here. Here's something else to consider. A major reason why younger people aren't gung ho to try nudism could be the main words we always put forth to describe the activity: "family friendly". Ugggggggh. Now, I'm NOT saying that nudism shouldn't BE family friendly, but do you have to use THOSE words as your MAIN MESSAGE? How many twenty-somethings do you know who say, "wow, let's try to find some new family-friendly things to do!" Be smart, people. Think of Monday Night Football, Star Wars movies, Disney theme parks, and Harry Potter books. ALL those things are family friendly (in most cases, aggressively so), but they don't use THOSE WORDS in their marketing and promotion efforts. You hear words like exciting, fun, wondrous, edgy, enchanting, dramatic, etc., etc., depending on the exact thing being promoted.

We have to find our own words, folks, better ones than the ones we've used so far. You know, maybe we should have a contest here to see who can come up with the best words to make nudism sound exciting to young people. And maybe come up with a slogan or two, also. Let's all put on those thinking caps!

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  5:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The origional queston of this post is "what keeps the younger crowd from nudism?" Part of the MAJOR reason that we dont see more "younger" nudists is that PARENTS DONT RAISE THEIR CHILDREN IN THE NUDIST LIESTYLE. Thats it. Parents or future parents out there who are nudists..Raise your children the same way. The rest will work itself out. Why do so many people not discover nudism until they are in their 40s and 50s?? A question I will never truely understand. And there ARE more and more young people getting introduced to nudism all the time. We have three teenage nudist daughters who will someday have nudist families of their own We have done our part in the "future of the cause".

Jennifer

Jennifer

AussieMatt
Forum Member

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  6:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I are in our thirties and are put off much social nudism by the timewarp much of nudism seems to be stuck in. Quite frankly, the emphasis we've noticed on activities like volleyball and the morbid fear of sexiness strike us as bizarre. It's like the late 19th century Germany back-to-nature pseudo-classical nude fad involving callisthenics and striking hearty poses. You want some younger people, drop the nerdiness and swap tired old greatest hits music for some electronic dance. Younger people like nudity, they just don't want to feel like they're hanging out at the parents' (or even grandparents') clubs.

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  7:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VERY strong point..AussieMatt. Many of the nudist clubs DO tend to cater to music that is geared towards people in their 50's/ Actually in the US, anyway, and at our club during the busier summer months they are starting to bring in djs and bands that play more toward a younger crowd. We have had much sucess with this. Some of the larger US resorts have nude dance clubs that pretty much only play hip-hop and "dance music" The problem with some of those slubs ids there is TOO MUCH of a sexual aspect and they are way too sexual in nature. A good balance between a family nudist club during the day and a good "party" at night is what all nudist clubs need to aspire to. By the Way my husband and I cant stand the tired old music either..and we are in our mid forties. I suppose having three tennage daughters has opened up our music tastes quite a bit.

Jennifer

NakedAmbition
Forum Member

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  1:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking Matt's hilarious post and Jennifer's comments together, maybe we need to see ad campaigns something like this: "At the so-and-so Nudist Resort, you'll enjoy a top-notch family-friendly day (show a picture of the whole family swimming or hiking or some such activity), but at night we remember that adults are part of families, too (show a picture of adults enjoying drinks, conversation, and laughs in a nightclub style atmosphere, with maybe a slight hint of lingerie or heels here and there). That might work.

Both Matt and Jennifer point out something interesting. Our poor resorts always seem to be in danger of either drifting too far into the boring "volleyball and golden oldies" area or the "too much out of control sexiness" area. haha, maybe one day the clubs will all relax into the happy medium Jennifer alluded to.

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  4:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly.. a "happy medium". Many clubs out here in CA, including ours, are moving in the right direction. That is during a busy summer weekend, you can bring the whole family out and enjoy swimming, tanning, hiking, of course volleyball..both land and water, hiking and many other activities. Then at night we have dances and/or djs that usually play a good mix of modern music. The one thing we still have at our club as do many that personally I CANNOT STAND..are the lingere and high heel wearing women. I know, I know, many nudists are into it, and many will defend it, so please lets not go off for ten pages about that. I have seen this phenomenon for the past 20 years so it isnt going anywhere any time soon. I thing it brings the wrong atmosphere to the nightlife of a club. Not to mention the fact that personally speaking our family goes to a NUDIST CLUB to actually be NUDE..BUT again an issue for a completely separate thread. Again if you are one of the "pro lingere crowd" Im not trying to offend you, Im just saying that I dont think all of the "sex costumes" have a place at a nudist club. Apperantly, judging by all the booths that sell that crap, even at our club during the summer, I am in the MINORITY. So be it.

Jenn

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  5:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Four big factors I see are:
1. Cost. Club fees can be another expense for young folks with more important demands on their money.
2. I think people tend to become a little less inhibited as they get a little older.
3. I think most young folks have been raised to think it's naughty, so for a lot of them maybe they think of it as walking on the wild side and being "naughty." So motivation for some may be more of a dare or getting away with something than an actual persuit of happiness.
4. Maybe nobody invites them, or maybe when they come, they don't find things they would like to do. Shuffleboard may not be too thrilling to them.
Just my ideas.

NakedAmbition
Forum Member

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Jenn. While a moderate amount of playful sensuality can be a positive element of the nudist mix, the evening dances tend to be overloaded these days with lingerie, heels, costumes, and other fashion statements. It's gotten to the point where we all look at each other around the table at a dance and wonder who will be brave enough to get nude first. At a freakin' nudist camp event! For the record, our little group of friends don't show up at the dances in sensual apparel, just normal clothes, and we eventually get nude a couple of hours into the event, after everyone is relaxed (translation: after we've all had a few drinks). But it's just so funny that, at the two nudist clubs my wife and I go to, people tip-toe around the nudity issue at the evening dances. And that's after being nude all day at the pool a few hours earlier! There's probably a sociology paper in here somewhere.

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  02:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NakedAmbition

...It's gotten to the point where we all look at each other around the table at a dance and wonder who will be brave enough to get nude first. At a freakin' nudist camp event! ...But it's just so funny that, at the two nudist clubs my wife and I go to, people tip-toe around the nudity issue at the evening dances...

That's just wrong! It's our football. If others wanna play with us, they should do it nude too!

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: The mainstream media is slowly accepting nudism Topic Next Topic: Nudism in a nutshell, elevator pitch style  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.37 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved