Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nude Beaches and Public Lands / Nudism Places
 To Bring a Camera Or Not?
 Should I bring a camera to a nude beach?
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bad memory Topic Next Topic: camera etiquette
Page: of 14

NekkidKelly

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  11:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my parents always bring a camera on nudist outings. they try not to get other people in the pictures though. some people dont mind and others do. ive had people ask me if its ok that im in the background of their pictures and others just take the picture. i tell them its ok that im in there picture anyway so i dont mind when they dont ask but i think its more polite if you do ask and would probably prefer it.

paint4life
Forum Member

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skipper

You both missed the point: at any public place beach or otherwise you have no legal right to stop someone from taking your picture and I'm not going too ruin my time worrying if some one is going to take my picture and what they intend to do with it.

No, no, we get that point. We just disagree with your assertion that freedom has to include a respect for your exercising all your rights.

In most states I am free to let my dog relieve himself on your lawn. If it's liquid, "that's just what dogs do" and you can't do anything about it. If it's solid, I must cart it off your property.

And I can do this with you watching.

But the >>POINT IS<<: It would be rude and disrespectful. You would likely be offended by a character who walks his dog everyday to your property line and holds the attitude, "I'm not going to ruin my day worrying about what "Skipper" thinks about dog-doo in his yard for a moment. I'm acting within my rights."

At some point, respect for others has to win out, or our "free society" will react with yet another law. We have the HUGE number of laws that we do precisely because so many people are missing the 'respect chromosome.' if people can't act decently on their own, we just make a new law.

I have no idea what morality has to do with it. Respect is from the heart, not the rule books.

Yes, you have a right to take a picture of everyone on the nude beach individually. But just exercise that right one day, and you'll find yourself within the hour laying brusied and bleeding behind the soda machine crying "But it's my right to take their picture!"

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  2:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
skipper, it is question of manners. not everyone is as polite as paint4life and i. they just might view it as an insult an affront to their family, etc. you will never be governor if you cant see the middle ground.

NUDKIWI
Forum Member

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on Skipper you've got my vote.

sunbreeze

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  10:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an artist, I take hundreds of nature shots each month to use for painting references. A recent adventure led me to a beautiful location that was occupied by someone in the buff. First reaction was to leave; I realized that the colors in this area were superb and I'd feel letdown if I didn't get a few shots, I did the right thing: I stripped down, and feeling more concerned about invasion of someone's privacy than being nude (I'm very new to the social nudity thing) in front of a stranger, asked and got permission to take my pictures. I was careful not to photograph the person who was occupying the area; we had a nice chat and I ended up spending a few hours down the way enjoying the sun and water. I didn't feel comfortable being a dressed and camera-toting tourist after I saw the sign advising the area was a c/o area; I did feel better (in more ways than one!) about it when I had got undressed. Being respectful of others will generally carry the day...

Chuck
Forum Member

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  11:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go Skipper!

qfish

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  01:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too am an artist and after having spent several years painting from the nude, I found that it was a natural progression to become the model. I have been modeling nude for artists and art schools in Toronto now for 6 years I am even considdering doing strip-a-grams. Personally, I don't care who takes picturees of me or what they do with them I am sure that there are already hundreds of pictures of me on the internet and it is not something that I am at all ashamed of. I have been photographed at nude beaches and though it wouldn't matter if I was not asked I must admit that I do appreciate the honour of being asked my permission. The answer is always yes.

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  10:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reprinted from the Haulover Digest

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:15:38 -0400

Subject: Illegal fotos and illegal activity

In Haulover Digest V5 #77

Dian Hardison wrote:

...That being established, absolutely NO ONE has the right to take an IDENTIFIABLE picture of people without their permission ... I don't care if they're an artist, a court photographer, or they sell to the Weekly World News....

The rights to privacy are very firmly established. If someone takes a picture of you on the beach without your permission, my advice is to employ the protections guaranteed to you by the right to privacy, and throw their damn camera in the ocean. Worked for Margaret and me.

Mike Kush, SFFB/FNA Wrote:

There are no restrictions on non-commercial photography at Haulover (other than staying with the guidelines of the lewd and lascivious statutes). In practice, the beach users will often seek to intimidate those whose lenses stray too far afield. If we see anyone with a camera, they'll usually be reminded that as a courtesy they should ask permission before taking pictures of anyone they don't know. But there are also people with cameras who only want to take pictures of their own party, and that is okay. Controlling the guys with cameras hidden in duffle bags or trying to shoot from the dunes is somewhat more problematical.

Sounds to me like Dian has made her own interpretation of the law and is advocating illegal assaults on others and the destruction of their property. It probably worked for her if she was mean enuf or large enuf to intimidate the photographer, but legally she could have been arrested had the person pressed his real rights of not being assaulted or having his camera destroyed.

Rob Boyte

[Haulover Digest Editor: I once saw and heard a policeman require a Haulover photographer to remove his film from his camera, in the sun, or else he would be arrested for disturbance of the peace. This was in direct response to the complaint to the policeman by two women who said that they had been photographed against their wishes. While the women and other nudists present seemed satisfied by the photographer's eventual compliance (after much hesitation), I was quite uncomfortable with the policeman's handling of this. First, if the peace had been broken, it is not be up to the policeman to negotiate a settlement in exchange for something else. Second, disturbance of the peace is vague and, ironically, has been used against nudists. Though it was a speedy way to resolve a dispute. Phil]

Reprinted from the Haulover Digest. This information is provided for education and community discussion. Nudist-Resorts.Org is not affiliated with SFFB/FNA.

Add your comments here by clicking Reply to Topic.

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  03:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the Forum Admin. Our club has similar rules, you ask before you take pictures of someone. We go to Wreck beach a lot, and you occasionally see people taking pictures, sometimes it couples posing for each other and sometimes you see textiles taking pictures, this is highly discouraged.

I would be careful about taking nude photos to be developed. Some of the places have been known to collect copies of your photos and they wind up on the net.

Kim =^.^=

Nu2dis

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  8:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Nu2dis a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was recently at a topless optional beach and was laying back enjoying the sun when I noticed a 50-something year old man come by. About 20 feet from where I was there were 3 young girls (probably in their upper teens) laying out. One of them was topless and was laying on her back. The man walked up slowed down and then shocked me by pulling out a camera I didn't notice at first and taking her picture. Then stared for a few seconds longer and walked away. I wanted to say something, but I didn't. Just shook my head. I don't think bringing cameras to nude or topfree beaches is wrong, but that clearly is.

Bilby
Forum Member

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  11:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to a nude beach for the first time last week after having wanted to for ages. I took my camera with me because I wanted to get some photos of myself. However, since I was on my own, I was too shy to ask anyone to take them for me.
Any suggestions?

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  02:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bilby

I went to a nude beach for the first time last week after having wanted to for ages. I took my camera with me because I wanted to get some photos of myself. However, since I was on my own, I was too shy to ask anyone to take them for me.
Any suggestions?

I was in the same situation at Haulover last November. It had rained most of the day, and late in the afternoon the sun came out, so I ran to the beach. Even if I wasn't too shy to ask someone (which I am), there was almost nobody else there to do it anyway because of the weather. So I just set my camera on my towel on the sand and used my timer. Had to take a few shots, running back and forth to get a few usable ones. My avatar pic is one of those. It wasn't as dark out as it looks. There was more rain moving in from sea. It was about 4:00pm and using the flash wiped out the background.

Randy

Edited by - nudeisntlewd on 01/10/2004 02:59:31 AM

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  04:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Admin's post is exactly what came to my mind when I saw this topic. (I save all my Haulover Digest newsletters in my saved mail.)

I've read posts saying that cameras are not allowed on nude beaches or that it's illegal. It just aint so.

What the cop did with making the guy destroy the film was way out of line and quite illegal, and I would have filed a complaint with the police department. I would positively have pressed charges on the woman if she destroyed my property and filed a civil case for compensation for the destruction of my property. Except that I would personally have not taken pics without permission so the situations would not have occured. What might happen in my case, is that you might accidentally get into the frame and possibly ruin the shot, in which case I would delete it. Or if you objected, I would show you the shot and delete it if you asked me to.

I would add to that this:
When I was a Sherrif's Deputy on the Hennepin County (Minnesota) water patrol, I had a reporter ride along in my boat once. He was taking pictures of people I stopped. I asked him if that was OK, (I should have known and not have had to ask, but I was still green). He pointed out that since they were in the public domain it was legal, but if they object, you'd be a creep to continue. Not all reporters are so nice.

If you are comfortable being nude in a public place, you should be comfortable enough to accept that you may get into a picture or two just the same as you may get into a picture at a National Monument, a park or a regular beach. Let's face it, if you're at a nude beach, you aren't too shy, and you will be noticed and you may be photographed. To me, objecting to it makes as much sense as going to Hooter's and complaining that the women are attractive, well endowed and scantilly clad. Or going to church and complaining that they always sing and talk about religion.

A photographer is within his rights to shoot pictures of anything, anywhere that's public as long as it is for non-commercial or news agency use. He doesn't have to be polite, but hopefully he will be. If you are polite and ask nicely, he/she will be more likely to comply with your wish not to be photographed. Photos can also be taken of subjects viewable from public property. An example would be if I take a picture of my car from the street and you, your house, or other property is in the background.

On private property, it's a different matter. Some stores and malls can and do ban cameras on the premises and that's their right. Nudist clubs generally do also, and that's their right too. Guests there are paying for their privacy. On a beach, visitors are not. They are in public and by definiton, are not entiltled to privacy.
public: exposed to general view
public: a place accessible or visible to the public — usually used in the phrase in public}

That's why they call it "in public". Your only defense from being photographed against your will is to be in private, like going to a club that doesn't allow it.

Randy

Edited by - nudeisntlewd on 01/10/2004 04:40:19 AM

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  04:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Three in a row. Sorry.

The short version is:
You can. It is not illegal. Just be considerate of other people's wishes. That's one of the things nudists are about.

Randy

Edited by - nudeisntlewd on 01/10/2004 04:54:12 AM

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  5:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Randy, people should be considerate about taking pictures, always ask first. I have notice some clothing optional beaches now have signs saying no cameras.

Kim =^.^=

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Bad memory Topic Next Topic: camera etiquette  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.2 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved